Vex Robotics and the One Hundred Trillion Dollar Sprocket

Came across this on the VexPro website today. Sadly, I was unable to locate the mystery sprocket in any of the drop-down options…

Link for reference:
https://www.vexrobotics.com/pro/motion/sprockets-and-chain

20 Likes

@359 yo did you guys request this?

(since somebody shot me a message, I would like to clarify this post isn’t trying to attack anyone, just making a bit of a joke about how the product is rather expensive)

2 Likes

I’m more interested in that $0 sprocket :eyes:

28 Likes

This global pandemic has been rough for all suppliers within the FIRST Robotics Competition. We should be thankful for everything they have done and eat the cost as the consumer.

22 Likes

The average cost of aluminum is $2.42/kg, so (excluding machining cost), the $100 trillion dollar sprocket would be about 4x the mass of the comet 67P/Churyumov–Gerasimenko, or the total mass of the annual global emissions of CO2. Interestingly this also works out to about the same order of magnitude of mass for 100 trillion $1 sprockets that are 100 grams each.

It would also consume over 600 years of global production of aluminum, so lead time is a little long.

18 Likes

So you’re saying sprockets are made of CO2?

Be patient… It might be a deal a few years from now.

2 Likes

unrelated, but this might actually be a possibility at some point as a way of sequestering carbon, based on some neat research being done in germany (source: Algae used to convert CO2 into carbon fibres)

1 Like

Very Thrifty!

8 Likes

Reminds me of a couple of sentences from Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy:

The Triganic Pu is a unit of galactic currency, with an exchange rate of eight Ningis to one Pu. This is simple enough, but, since a Ningi is a triangular rubber coin six thousand eight hundred miles along each side, no one has ever collected enough to own one Pu .

12 Likes

Why aren’t you interested in getting 100 Trillion dollars and a #35 sprocket? There’s an extra “-” there!

I’m guessing its a dollar equivalent of sentimental value. There are some sprockets I hate, others I’d pay $100T to have back in my life.

5 Likes

Seriously though, aluminum prices have increased a lot.

10 Likes

Missed the negative on my first viewing.

2 Likes

So if I order one, does that mean VEX sends a gear along with $100T?

DEAL! I’m gonna run 35 chain on everything!

1 Like

I was recently shopping for Vex Bros but I couldn’t find them. It used to have an actual skew that you could add to your cart. I was very tempted to order it and see if @Jon_Jack showed up at my door. Anyone remember the sku?

1 Like

I thought that was AndMark Rent an Engineer ?

Vex had theirs too

Mod Note: I removed some posts for being off-topic

2 Likes

Idk who flagged this post, but I’d bet it’s the closest to the real explanation.

3 Likes