VEXpro - 2020 New Products

I’m happy to announce a few new additions to the VEXpro product line.

First up are Double Sprockets for #25 Chain. These are available in four different tooth sizes (16, 17, 18 & 22)

Next up are ThunderHex Bushings. These Bushings come in two sizes: 10.25mm for 3/8" ThunderHex and 13.75mm for 1/2” ThunderHex. The acetal plastic bushings work with low load applications and the oil impregnated bronze bushings are great for higher loads.

Finally, we’ve created a new FTC Starter Kit. This is designed for teams wanting to implement parts from our V5 and VEXpro product lines into their robots. This kit contains a ton of useful parts, such as aluminum structure, motors, sensors, and our new FTC Motor Mounts. We are also offering a $300 discount on this kit to verified FTC teams that apply through the form on the product page.

All of these products are in-stock now on the US vexrobotics.com store, and will be available internationally over the coming weeks as our warehouses receive stock.

Stay tuned for more new product announcements in the coming weeks!

52 Likes

Another new product has just been added to the VEXpro website. The Falcon Spline to 1/2" ThunderHex Adapter.

This adapter allows you to easily drive any 1/2“ hex bore product with a Falcon 500 Motor, or support a Falcon Shaft with a ThunderHex Bearing. This kit also comes with two different sized washers that create a flange on the ends of the adapter.

This is now in-stock on the VEX Robotics US Website, and will be available internationally in the next few weeks.

Also, per this thread, in-tolerance Falcon 500 Pinions are now back in stock. Just in case you missed it, the out of tolerance pinions have been discounted and re-packaged into a 6-pack. Those can be found here.

On a different note, we’ve made some updates to motors.vex.com. Most notably, the addition of new motors:

We will also add test data for these additional motors in the coming weeks:

• REV NEO 550
  • REV Core Hex
  • Tetrix TorqueNado
  • Tetrix MAX DC Motor

We’ve also added additional test data at 4V, 6V, 8V & 10V for almost every motor on the site.

Finally, we’ve added a new Constant Current Test for the Brushless Motors on the site. Essentially, how much mechanical power can a motor produce before the test ends, it dies, or (in the case of the Falcon 500) reaches thermal protection limits.

38 Likes

Big fan of this Constant Current Test. Really makes is easy to see how the different motors hold up under non-stall load. I’d love to see this test run on the brushed motors as well to get a better comparison between the various options.

8 Likes

What speed / torque / voltage values are the constant current tests performed at?

The tests were run at 12VDC

1 Like

Cool thanks, but I’m not sure that value by itself is useful. I don’t know how much the controller is “throttling” the voltage at each current limit. I’d like to be able to look at that curve and say " at 40A, I’m good for X watts, which means I can deliver Y N*m at Z rpm." Unfortunately I don’t think there’s enough information to know where on the motor curve(s) the test was run.

Unless there is and I’m dumb. I’m often confused by the magic electron pixies

If I’m not mistaken, you should be able to look up the current value on the motor curve to get the torque the motor is providing. Then divide the power output by that torque to get the speed.

I’ll go into more detail…

The controllers were given 12VDC from our dyno power supply and run at 100% duty cycle. There isn’t any voltage “throttling”. Outside of the default current limit on the Spark Max (60A), there was no current limiting done. Once the motor was spinning we applied a mechanical load to the motor using a brake on our dyno.

Mechanical Power (W) = Speed (RPM) * Torque(Nm) * 2 * Pi / 60

In the case of the data presented you know mechanical power and current. If you want to know what the speed is you need to know torque.

Torque is proportional to current draw. So in theory, this is constant since the current draw was constant. In practice this is also true. On any of the tests we ran torque varied no more than 1.5% between the minimum and maximum torque value recorded during the test. So as @AriMB noted, you can look at the motor curve and know what the torque value is. From there, you should be able to solve for speed using:

Speed (RPM) = (Mechanical Power (W) * 60) / (Torque (Nm) * 2 * pi)

8 Likes

Thanks!

The fact that the controller was running at 100% duty cuddle was the missing piece of information. The curves are showing measured current draw at a set mechanical power output. I interpreted them as measured mechanical power at a set current limit, which I think would yield different results.

38 Likes

I’m looking forward to seeing the results on these abominations compared to the more recent FTC-legal motors. They were magic smoke generators at the smallest load. Thankfully, I don’t think they are distributed as part of the Tetrix FTC kit any more.

Motor data for the NEO 550 and TorqueNADO is now up on motors.vex.com.

Data for the REV Core Hex and Tetrix MAX DC Motors will be added sometime after the holidays.

4 Likes

Thank you VEX for doing these motor tests on as many legal motors as possible! It’s great to see data that not only verifies performance under load, but also shows that some motors perform better than their supplier data originally showed.

3 Likes

A 4-pack of 2" Mecanum Wheels has just been added to the VEXpro Website.

These will retail for $44.99, and are manufactured from anti-static materials to prevent static build up that can potentially damage robot electronics. They are in-stock on the US store now!

Just like the past few products, these wheels will be available internationally as our warehouses receive stock.

23 Likes

This is a really solid deal. Kudos to Vex for getting this to market.

2" wheels are kind of impractical, but are they rated for drivetrain use?

Since they’re impractical for drivetrain use in FRC, we spent more time making sure they worked well for intakes. We can explore load ratings for drivetrains after the new year.

2 Likes

Totally sensible. I only ask because the product page still says “Conservatively rated for use on 200 lb robots” as a blanket statement. Wasn’t sure if that applied to the new wheels, or if it just hadn’t been updated on the site yet.

I missed that when initially updating the webpage. It’s been fixed. Thanks for pointing it out.

6 Likes

I mean, it’s not wrong… you’re using them on a 200-lb robot.

Just, you really don’t want to try using them as a drivetrain on said 200-lb robot when they’re rated for intakes. :wink:

4 Likes

The 6" Omni-Wheel V2 has just been added to the VEXpro Website. Similar to last year’s redesign of the 4" Wheel, these now have a reinforced body to improve durability during sideways impacts.

These will retail for $29.99, and are now in-stock on the US store.

Insert my same disclaimer about international availability here.

13 Likes