Viability of Top Goal

Why would a flatter shot be more reliable in entering the funnel? The farther you get from a vertical drop, the smaller the solid angle the ball has to hit in order to go in.

I think the issue with long-range shooters is that, in order to make those far shots, you’re going to need significant horizontal velocity even if you hit at the ideal point (just past the apogee), which makes a bounce-out more likely.

I think you’ll see a lot of close-up high-goal shooters from right against the fender, a lot of low-goal scorers that either dump or shoot from very close range, and significantly fewer successful long-range high goal scorers.

4 Likes

There is a tool built on gnu octave that simulates ball shots here:

Same here on our team, our hope is to minimize velocity because we believe it will likely be more consistent.

That is an excellent point.

I’ve not done the math on how much error you get at the target for say 1 degree of error in the shooter angle for the various trajectories. I think the point that @JeremyS was trying to make is that a 80 degree launch angle results in such a long flight path that a 1 degree error at the launch angle would result in a large error at the target. But you are correct that at very flat entry angles, the target gets so small that a 1 degree error would also result in a miss.

My original point was more related to the angle that you needed to enter the funnel to not bounce out and not the projected target size of the funnel. It certainly seems like there is going to be a sweet spot for the distance shots that may be hard to dial in.

I agree with you that the majority of shooting teams will stick to close in shots on either the upper or lower hub (or both).

1 Like

I noticed in the field tour video for the hub that when they shot several cargo into the upper hub (at several angles) none of it bounced out (and most actually tended to bounce off the side and down.) The upper hub is a pretty acute truncated cone, so that would tend to make those kinds of deflections happen rather than a bounce back.
Interestingly enough, it was only a shot into the lower hub that bounced out in the video. The last shot (a low arcing one) hit the cluster of chain in the middle where it joins together and bounced off that and right back out.