VIDEO: team 1528 drive train experiment

in the off season we experiment with different drive train and other ways to improve our robot for the off-season events so let me know what you think

What kind of drive is that? Looks cool.

Looks neat! I take that it is 4 omnis with one perpendicular in the middle making it a 5 wheel robot or is it some other configuration?

I love the maneuverability. Could you give some more details on the drive train please?

I can’t see anything, well, I think that there is a more efficient one out there some where

it looks like a 6 wheel omni drive, basically a tank drive with omni wheels, then 2 other omni wheels facing the other direction on the ends, looks neat.

That’s what I think too

yes it is a six wheel drive
4 wheel tank drive (onmis) run by andymark supershifters
2 onmis perpindicual to the tank drive run by a cim motor in a banebot end
the straight forward and back were runnign a little slow but is now fixed to where it runs faster then it did in the video

Cool concept!

A few tips. When running omnis, you really won’t need shifters. Since pushing is mostly a futile effort, it would save some weight to “downgrade” to Toughboxes. You can still go plenty fast with only one gear ratio.

I love how easy it looks to make sliding drivetrains do cool maneuvers like that. It seems so agile…

This “concept” is actually one that is has taken on a lot of use in VEX Robotics. In fact, this year we had two teams run this concept, and teams 148/217 also used this in their nona drive.

Nice implementation. Probably one of the more efficient multi-directional systems. But once again, you’re not going to be putting up much of a struggle when it comes to defense.

what exactly is nona-drive? I’ve heard a lot about it

Same can be said about mecanum drives, yet people seem to love putting those on their robots…

Nona-drive is a 9 wheeled robot 5 omni wheels 4 “treaded” wheels. There is an omni wheel in the center of the robot that runs perpendicular with the rest of the wheels, then at each of the corners there is a “pivoting system” that lifts the treaded wheels off the ground so the omni wheel in the center of the robot will then be able to drive the robot on its axis.

Thats my basic shake down about the concept.

Andrew

The key advantage for us with the mecanum wheels was the speed and manuverability. I did not notice us being pushed around much but it could be that our drivers avoided the pushing matches. I did see that we were consistantly able to get to balls quicker than most and move them into the offensive zone or score.

exactly why i put this drive train together i wanted a high manueverable robot and put the super shifters on there for some control in low gear with steering but still have the option to get where i need to in a hurry

Any idea where we could find some pics or something? I’m intrigued!
Tried some google searches, couldn’t find anything though…

This was the drive system that 148 and 217 developed and implemented this year.

You should check out this thread.

JVN also included some CAD renders of their (148’s) robot in the build diary he made this year.

–Ryan

Very well implemented, though I’d consider game-by-game whether you really need supershifters. Something lighter, depending on your ratio. We’ve put shifters on robots with omnis, but not often (or at least not wisely) and only after considering our exact strategy. You won’t be pushing.

I’d also think hard about exactly how you–or rather, your drivers–want to control it. Consider it, design it, code, test it, and then test it again. And again… I’ve seen teams (ours included), regardless of programmer skill, have serious problems in this area with such agile drivetrains. Leave time for driver practice!

While your point is still completely valid, I’d just like to add that one of the benefits of a slide drive is how easy it is to control with the most rudimentary of code. If I didn’t know better, I’d make one myself! o.0