Viewing More Kinect Buttons on Driver Station

Alright, so we have a Hybrid Program made with an Autonomous Program that will allow us to go between Auto and Hybrid whenever the Kinect is connected or not. However, the default Dashboard Program only allows us to see the three Axes and only Three buttons. I know that there are nine buttons that are defaulted in the Server code linked with each KinectStick.

My question is this: How will we be able to see more outputs on the kinect viewer of the Dashboard when it comes with the buttons?

Don’t worry about the space on our dashboard, we are using a different laptop with a higher processing rate and bigger screen, and I extended more space on the Dashboard so we can utilize the new bigger space we have. We plan on using the same 9 buttons, and I will reprogram the server so that we can create an X axis.

I have not tried it, but here’s what I would do.

In Build Simple Skeleton Data.vi, you would need to decode more buttons in the for loop at the bottom, and add more leds to the simple joystick info control on the front panel.

Alright, so I went to the BSSD.vi file and added 9 more elements to the Cluster AND Array so that the wiring would agree. After that, I added the 9 extra LEDs Like you suggested and got the cluster wiring to agree with the button cluster.

After that, I went ahead and updated the Dashboard by Ungrouping the bars and LEDs and deleting both of the original LEDs from the program. I went into the Block Diagram and right clicked the outputs of the buttons and created the new indicators to let the program adapt to the new added buttons. I did some rearranging, and labeled the new LEDs on the Bigger Dashboard.

However, the new button group on the Dashboard don’t look like the original. I would be fine with the way it is now, for I think it should work (for the RUN arrow isn’t broken, which indicates no errors), but it would be great if I can make it look like the Awesome original…

Thanks!

What do You Think?

Just a heads up -

When you arrive at your Regional competition, you’ll see the Kinect Station set up. A Kinect will sit above a Classmate. On the Classmate, the Kinect Kiosk will be running.

Your Kinect player will be looking at the Kiosk, not your Dashboard/camera feeds.

And the Kinect Kiosk shows the value of all 6 axes and 12 buttons on both KinectSticks in addition to the “green man”, player count and team number

Thanks for telling me that, for it would make it a bit easier to show the driver what he is doing. However, Our drivers at the Operator Console can help yell out to the driver from a different view…

The main reason why I am changing the Dashboard is so that we can see the button outputs on the driver station during our Stop Build Month.

I know we could use the Kinect Kiosk during this time, but our new School Laptop has some Admin controls on it (long story short, it would be better for us to use the Dashboard)…

Again, thanks for letting us know about this!!!

QUESTION:

Does the data for the Kinect run from the Laptop at the Driver Console, or from the Kinect Setup?

I ask this because we figured out that the Kinect Runs REALLY slow from our original Classmate, but runs smoothly from our New Laptop…

At Competition you plug the Kinect into your Driver Station computer via USB so the software runs on whatever you are using for your Driver Station. The Kiosk computer is just a display device.

Also, the one’s in Nashua definitely weren’t Classmates, they were some monster 17+ inch laptops

To make it look the same, you go to the tool window and choose the coloring tool. The shortcut is to shift-right-click in open space, and choose the coloring tool. Then right click on the background of the cluster and it will bring up the color picker. Te easiest thing to do is to choose the T in the upper right corner. You. May also want to do this to the cluster border. Note that some objects, particularly shadows and effects, will not color except as transparent and non-transparent. For those objects, it is often useful to hover over transparent symbol and hit space or another key.

Greg Mckaskle