Virtual cRio?

is there any type of online virtual program to download code to and test it for auto mode?

There is a VXWorks emulator, but I doubt that is what you are looking for. I doubt there is a cRio emulator out there. Just put it on blocks and see how it reacts. Even better. Actually go through the code step by step in your mind and consider all different situations.

well we already baged the robot since the bag date was the 22nd

and im just looking for a virtual robot to run my auto mode if possible

You should have kept the electronics board and tested with an older robot or something. I highly doubt there is any… I suggest making one.

i wouldn’t know where to start to make my own

I’ve wondered about this topic a lot. There are many reasons a virtual target would benefit the teams. Maybe it is possible to install vxWorks or the cRIO base image on a virtual machine using something like vm ware. But most likely it isn’t that straightforward. Even with the OS running in a virtual machine you need some way to simulate all the I/O. One of the mentors on our team works for a company that develops software for vxWorks and he said they have some kind of vxWorks emulator (I think it is homegrown) that runs on Linux. I would definitely like to see this topic get discussed a bit more here though!

I heard rumors last year at nationals about a unknown team making a emulator. Anyone trying to make one?

Is it possible this is what you’re looking for?

http://firstforge.wpi.edu/sf/projects/wpilib_test_harness

Yes, I started working on that, and it even works for the most part for some limited things. However, I haven’t needed it over the last two years, so development work has been stagnant. And this year, we’re using python, so I’m exploring some other options instead.

Feel free to pick up where I left off :slight_smile:

Is that the most recent code you linked to? Your blog mentioned an non-existent project on GoogleCode…

Doesn’t Windriver some with some sort of “kernel image”? I suppose you can use that on qemu…

Yes, the FIRST Forge project is the most recent one.

Have fun simulating the FPGA to get QEMU to do anything useful with that kernel image… It’s easier to just rewrite the low level classes in WPILib to pass on the calls to a virtual robot.