Visibility for the Driver

I saw in the picture galleries a model of the playing field, I saw that DRIVERS might have problems with visibility when looking from the driving position to the opposite team zone, I didn’t need to see this model to see that this is by far the biggest / tallest ramp yet, so does anybody know if the visibility for the drivers on the other side of the playing field will be clear, or will the human players play another role besides the stacking of the boxes at the beginning…

The human player will not play a role in relaying information to visibility impaired drivers, becasue once the human player mode is over, the human player must go back to the alliance station.

When the Bins are stacked, it is very hard to see to the other side. Hopefully, in autonomous mode, at least one robot will knock them down.

Once the bins are knocked down, it is easier to see. If you are really worried about seeing your robot, stick an extending flag on your robot.

Two Words: X-Ray Visor.

Don’t you pronounce the X and the ray seperatly making that 3 words? :stuck_out_tongue:

I think visibility won’t be as big a problem as some people think it will be. The robots are pretty big…

*Originally posted by Ianworld *
**The robots are pretty big… **

Exactly, now try to see THROUGH the giant unfolding wall that is designed to knock down all the boxes, and then guard the ramp.

See the problem?

That’s why we’re testing our drivers for ESP, while it hasn’t been important in the past, we feel it will play an increased role in this years game.

Am I serious?
:smiley:

If all things are fair, the giant telescreen will be on a side of the field (not behind one particular alliance… AHEM) and drivers can look up there for help if they are completely trapped visually.

Is there a giant screen at all the regionals?

usualy but the camera angles vary from regional to regional

Oooooooooh- that’ll be a major problem at regionals like Drexel- their setup only allows for the large screen to be at the end of the field, benefitting one team…

The Streamlined Event Letter says that there won’t be displays at all of the regionals.

http://www.usfirst.org/robotics/streamlinedeventletter.htm

For our regional (silion valley), there will be a screen on one end of the large place, so basically one team can use it for guidance while the other team is stuck…maybe during elimination the “home team” will the one facing the screen for additional help driving :wink:

It’s possible to have a flag on the top of your robot. If the robot is designed to go under the bar, the flagpole can be flexible.

In the FRC message board the question was asked about using a periscope and the answer was an emphatic YES!!! So, I’m sure that a lot of minds have been working overtime to innovate a unique apparatus–hopefully an award winning one at that.

Please, please post a link! I must see for myself!

*Originally posted by Kevin Ray *
**In the FRC message board the question was asked about using a periscope and the answer was an emphatic YES!!! **

Kevin, I saw that question and answer also. It was later contradicted by one or two messages. I can’t find either message, though. I would assume that the first message was in error, because the rules say that no special equipment may be used (GM6). If FIRST meant to change that rule (by allowing periscopes), it would have been in a team update by now.

your question could have been solved with a little basic trigonometry. Our team did the calulations…based on the height of the rmap and position of the driver station. If you are at least 5’ 6" then you can barely see down the ramp. If you are 5’ 7" you cansee everything on the otherside of the field. That’s it. 5 foot 7 and you can see everything, without a ladder.

i guesse i should write that down on my driver application this year…hehe being 6’4’’ will have some major advantages!

*Originally posted by TEAM_74 *
**your question could have been solved with a little basic trigonometry. Our team did the calulations…based on the height of the rmap and position of the driver station. If you are at least 5’ 6" then you can barely see down the ramp. If you are 5’ 7" you cansee everything on the otherside of the field. That’s it. 5 foot 7 and you can see everything, without a ladder. **

You are negating a few things. Such as if your bot is in the far center starting point, you can’t see it (if it’s under 2’ tall) and that bins will reach a height of 8’2" when placed on the ramp

sorry…i did forget about bins but…if you think about it…only for the first 15 seconds…will that be a problem. Almost immediatly …someone will knock the boxes over and you’ll be able to see. If not…i guess that’s your problem…and you have to work out the problem another way. But if the position of you robot is what you want to see…use a flag. And remeber that you can always see off to the side of the ramp…without any difficulty.

I don’t think you get to correct people’s spelling, when you can’t spell ‘separately’ correctly!! :stuck_out_tongue: