Vision Processing can't send data over FMS

This year our team chose to implement vision processing, and after much discussion we decided on using RoboRealm (which uses network tables for communication) with a Winbook TW700. The Winbook is connected to the robot via a USB hub and a USB to Ethernet adapter. We got everything working fantastically at our workplace and in pits at competition, but for some reason it doesn’t want to work on the FMS.

We currently believe it is a networking issue and has something to do with the FMS assigning addresses, thus putting the RoboRio and Winbook on separate networks. Unfortunately, we were unable to fully flesh out a solution for this at our last competition and obviously do not have access to an FMS before our next one.

Our current solution plan involves setting everything to static IP’s and is outlined here:

Rio:
IP=10.2.17.2
subnet=255.255.255.0
gateway=10.2.17.1
(Plugged into 18-24v port on radio.)

Driver station:
IP=10.2.17.5
subnet=255.0.0.0

Coprocessor:
IP=10.2.17.19
subnet=255.255.255.0
gateway=10.2.17.1
(Plugged into other port on the radio.)

We would like to know if this seems like a suitable next step and what others would recommend as another course of action. Also, we are wondering if any other teams have run into this issue before and solved it. Really any help would be greatly appreciated going forward. Also, if anything outlined above would mess with communications to the FMS please let us know.

Thank you in advance,

Team 217: The ThunderChickens

At our district event this weekend I had the same problem our first couple of matches but then I heard about the mDNS issue with NetworkTables and switched everything to static IP addresses, and that worked. I used the standard IP scheme from 2014, with the driver station on 10.2.25.10 and the roboRIO on 10.2.25.2, as well as our IP camera on 10.2.25.11. I put everything on the 255.0.0.0 subnet, and I believe that may be a requirement as I helped a team next to us in the pits that couldn’t connect to their camera when it was on the 255.255.255.0 subnet, but could on the 255.0.0.0 subnet. As for the default gateway, I just left it blank on everything, as I didn’t need it in my case; depending on your coprocessor setup, you might.

You definitely want to switch to use static IPs, that’s a good starting point.

Please read this post:

http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1558193&postcount=16

I will not be able to 100% confirm it works until UNH this weekend, but I suspect you will see further issues if you use those gateways.

At the events, the gateway doesn’t exist until you connect to the field. So in the pits, it doesn’t attempt to route packets through the gateway. That being said on the field the gateway does exist, and as such packets are routed through that gateway rather than following the most direct path. It is my belief this causes the delays you see because of the way the FMS handles packets. We were seeing a 2 - 3 second delay with traffic that should have remained local in our case.

Basically I was where you’re at after week zero, and now after Reading, I think I’m getting closer to a stable off-board setup.