WAGO's vs Every Other Connector

Ok. So I know I have made subjective topics before. Ex: Rhino Tracks, and Raptor Tracks and why they are so good! But my teammates and I have had a divide on connectors. I believe that WAGO connectors are really useful for connecting CAN wires when daisy-chaining. But some of my teammates think the opposite. I want to know FRC’s opinion on WAGO connectors and see which one is better. IT’s WAGO by the way.

1 Like

What is their reasons for not liking the WAGOs?

They think they are unreliable and look terrible

1 Like

WAGO is a company that makes hundreds of connectors. Please be more specific, because we have at least 3 kinds of WAGO connectors on every FRC robot.

If you are talking about lever nuts, the 221 series (clear) is good. They don’t look good but I found them reliable. There’s a recent thread about CAN connectors that is worth reviewing for the full span of opinions.

EDIT: found the thread The best Can bus connectors

7 Likes

Yes I am talking about the Lever Nuts.

1 Like

Yep, 221s are butt ugly, but so is an A-10 Warthog. Both work well and are reliable.

Actually, for a CAN connector, any connector/connection method used in FRC, IF DONE CORRECTLY will work well and be reliable. If they don’t want to use a 221 because its ugly, I can respect that. But to say its unreliable?, I don’t know about that one.

8 Likes

I just used the old 222’s to replace a dawn to dusk sensor in my house. I didn’t like the idea of using a [or reusing the existing] wire nut, soldering wires in a cramped space (not much margin for error) for a sensor that will need to be replaced in the future, I couldn’t fit any sort of terminal block for screw terminals in a space so small.

I was also considering the 773 connector, but those aren’t reusable, so the same reason I wouldn’t solder.

Ugly? No. Beautifully functional, and exactly what I needed.

There is something beautiful about how easy it is to inspect a 221 for potential failures though…

We use them a lot for prototyping, short term repairs, and for CAN. Never had a failure in all the years we have put them to work.

3 Likes

So I’m gonna ask for a tally. Im not sure the best way to do that but if you prefer WAGO’s comment so, and if you despise WAGO’s also comment so.

Can I do polls somehow

You can, but I encourage you to read the other thread first. There might be a poll there already.

The purpose of this program is to encourage students to engage in STEM fields and to learn critical thinking skills. Thus, you and your teammates should be learning to make decisions based on objective data. A good place to start would be for you all to gather the relevant data regarding your various options, do any necessary research then make a decision on the facts you all uncover.

Lever nuts are great, but connector wars are stupid. Just use what your team likes. CD fighting over which connector is best doesn’t really accomplish anything other than making people feel better because they can hype up their 10 cent price of metal and say it’s better than a different 10 cent piece of metal.

1 Like

Here’s the rub: Give me any connector, and I’ll make a scenario where it won’t work well.

In the world of engineering, “Better” always needs to account for the assumptions of the application. Some assumptions will be universal to all teams (Ex: Waterproofing not required). Many will be unique.

Therefor, universal recommendations are almost never possible.

But, of course, a decision still has to be made. I know two ways to go about doing this:

One is to spend the time to fully document all your own team’s assumptions, understand the merits of each connector alternative, and select the one which best fits the criteria.

The other method is to find someone you trust who works in a very similar situation to yours. Figure out what they use, and if they like it, copy it.

The latter is often cheaper than the former to execute, but still requires that you can accurately know and assess the assumptions made by multiple parties. In cases where you’re doing very unique work, the former may be your only option.

WRT these threads:

It’s useful for folks to share their experiences - especially in telling the story of how you arrived at your current selection, the issues you ran into while getting there, and the unique aspects of your team that drove the decision making process.

However, no team should expect them to be the source of a definitive answer on connector selection.

4 Likes

Maybe someone can design a 3D printed on-line housing for 220 lever nuts to make then look better (and add strain relief). Something like this:

1 Like

I’ve never used Wago lever nuts myself. I own a couple of dozen, but never found the right use case, especially as I have personally found Anderson Power Poles to be great for any application fused between 5 and 40 Amps, and never considered them for house wiring as I bought them for 12V. My only practical experience with them was at Arkansas (Rock City) 2019 Regional. It was my first outing as an inspector. Anyway, 3011 (RoboWarriors, a team based in Germany composed mostly if not entirely of US military dependents) was having some truly bizarre problems with their robot on the field, and I spent several hours working with them after competition started. While they also had some issues that required the orange hats, a significant number of issues derived from using Wago lever nuts for their (OBTW swerve) drive train motors. Bottom line: Wago lever nuts aren’t rated to be behind a 40A breaker, especially when you’re pushing that breaker! Several of their lever nuts showed signs of distress, either blackened contacts or partially melted housings. I apologized for their original inspector having passed them, but did note that they had those lever nuts pretty well hidden behind a lower cowling.

To be fair, it’s hard to know which Wago lever connectors are which, and they have different current ratings depending on the series, and multiple current ratings depending on the test standard. The 221-61x series is rated (for example) for 41 A by IEC methodology using up to 10 AWG solid or stranded copper conductors.

1 Like

The ones I inspected at Rock City 2019 were rated for 30A. Perhaps an amp or two more, but definitely not 40A.

useful

2 Likes

Woah woah I think the A-10 looks hella cool and works hella well

1 Like