Wasted time...

I was thinking,

People (even the “general public”, not just us Geeks) spend so much time fighting with Crap-tacular windows products, why dont they just take the time to learn Linux and other Open Source software :confused:. You will most likely SAVE more time overall.

If someone wants to do the math on this, please do!:wink:

-Matt

P.s. Most people think I JUST use a mac, but I DO use a Win 98 / Win 2k machine packin a Athlon XP 2000

<confused :confused:> “Crap-tacular” Windows products? But what do you mean? I think of myself as a Windows geek… I’ve never even tried Linux or anything else… Is there more out there? </confused>

-Suneet who’s running Windows.NET RC1

I use Windows and Macs. Mabey one reason why open-source isn’t huge is because of the “one package fits all” thing that Windows is.

I want to install an OS in one hour, not 5 days.

Ummm…please don’t tell me this is going to turn into another Mac vs. PC thread. I think we covered that one already…

*Originally posted by JosephM *
**I use Windows and Macs. Mabey one reason why open-source isn’t huge is because of the “one package fits all” thing that Windows is.

I want to install an OS in one hour, not 5 days. **

I can do a full Red Hat install in about 45 minutes. Plus, I get a lot more right out of the box than with Windows. For example, Red Hat comes with KOfficee pre-installed along with Mozilla, Konqueror, ssh clients, and a slew of great games (Tuxracer!).

I’d hardly say Windows is one-size-fits-all. More like one-size-fits-none, kind of like the T-shirts they handed out at Epcot last year…

*Originally posted by MattK *
…bs
…more bs…
…and some idiocy

I was thinking…

I wasted 2 minutes of my life reading this thread…

I want that time back :frowning: :mad:

There has already been many threads on these debates (Mac vs PC, OSX vs Windows, Windows sucks, etc). Don’t you have anything intelligent to say?

Some like Macs. Some like PCs. Some like Windows. Some like Linux. Yet the world goes on. To each his own.

*Originally posted by JosephM *
**I use Windows and Macs. Mabey one reason why open-source isn’t huge is because of the “one package fits all” thing that Windows is.

I want to install an OS in one hour, not 5 days. **

i love windows for it’s ability to quickly find all the components on my computer, and install them without any hassle. i also must say when i tried red hat, it did a very good job too, but i must say windows probably still beats red hat.

this past week, i installed Gentoo (www.gentoo.org) on my computer, more for the learning experience than anything else. sure, it took me at least 5 days (including going to school and stuff :p) to make X work, but hey, now I know how to do it. I’m actually considering using Gentoo as my only OS, but i think compatability issues with my printer will force me to boot into windows if i want to print anything.

face it, linux isn’t for the average computer user, yet. it’s a great OS, don’t get me wrong. it still needs to mature though, as everything is rather complicated when compared to windows. one thing that i would like to try is installing red hat on my computer (tri-boot, yay!) but i dont’ currently have any extra space (i need another hard drive and IDE expansion card :)).

even if i tell myself i’ll never boot window again, i know i’ll still use it. it’s the most wide spread OS, and it’s here to stay. unless Linux can become pop-out-of-the-box-and-everything-works-perfect simple, it’ll never compete with windows. accept the fact, and move on. you can’t change it unless you can go back in time and tell IBM to buy out Microsoft, but unfortunately, that’s rather impossible at the moment.

<EDIT>
MBiddy posted while i was replying, and for once, i must say I agree. A very rare case I must admit, but MBiddy has the right idea.
</EDIT>

*Originally posted by MBiddy *
**Some like Macs. Some like PCs. Some like Windows. Some like Linux. Yet the world goes on. To each his own. **

Exactly.

• Katie

Agreed Katie

*Originally posted by rbayer *
**I’d hardly say Windows is one-size-fits-all. More like one-size-fits-none, kind of like the T-shirts they handed out at Epcot last year… **

Heh. Those shirts were huge. I lost mine though, surprisingly enough…

In any case. I wouldn’t know where to get Linux, much less how to actually put it on my laptop. I’m content with XP. Not happy, but content.