Watching Nationals

Posted by Ellen Cogo at 03/28/2001 3:17 PM EST

Other from Central Michigan University.

Does anyone know if nationals are going to be broadcast somewhere? My team will be a rookie next year, and I thought it might be fun to get together and watch the competition if its going to be on TV or something.
Thanks,
Ellen
PS-Anyone coming to CMU next fall who wants to stay involved in FIRST contact me at [email protected]

Posted by soap108 at 03/28/2001 3:56 PM EST

Engineer on team #108, SigmaC@T, from Dillard & Taravella HS and Motorola.

In Reply to: Watching Nationals
Posted by Ellen Cogo on 03/28/2001 3:17 PM EST:

NASA may be broadcasting on NASA TV and/or the Web.
I’d check their sites.

www.soap108.com plans to put quicktime movies of the matches on our site soon after epcot.

Regards,
KA - 108

: Does anyone know if nationals are going to be broadcast somewhere? My team will be a rookie next year, and I thought it might be fun to get together and watch the competition if its going to be on TV or something.
: Thanks,
: Ellen
: PS-Anyone coming to CMU next fall who wants to stay involved in FIRST contact me at [email protected]

Posted by Joe Ross at 03/28/2001 4:17 PM EST

Engineer on team #330, Beach Bot, from Hope Chapel Academy and NASA/JPL , J&F Machine, and Raytheon.

: Does anyone know if nationals are going to be broadcast somewhere? My team will be a rookie next year, and I thought it might be fun to get together and watch the competition if its going to be on TV or something.

NASA has been broadcasting a few of the regionals on NASA TV. While I haven’t heard them say that are broadcasting for sure, I would highly doubt that that wont.

If they do the same things as the regionals, the practice day on thursday and the qualifying rounds on friday will be webcast. On saturday the nationals will be both webcast and broadcast on NASA TV.

The page to watch for more information is http://robotics.nasa.gov

Posted by Kevin Sevcik at 03/28/2001 4:29 PM EST

Other on team #57, Leopards, from BT Washington and the High School for Engineering Professions and Exxon, Kellog Brown & Root, Powell Electrical.

Well, I’m doubting that NASA will be webcasting the nationals. Atleast not purely webcasting them. While it is probably possible to get the necessary high bandwidth internet connection out into the middle of EPCOT’s parking lot, I don’t think FIRST has bothered for two reasons.

1. They can’t cover every field with one webcast, and 5 different webcasts would be even harder to pull off.
  2. There’s not really THAT big of a demand for it.

The regionals only had one field to deal with, and unless I’m mistaken, they were all indoors or very close to a building. I think the only real possiblity is some NASA TV coverage on Saturday, but I’m kind of doubting that even this will happen. If it does, then you can just pick up the NASA TV webcasts from the link below

Posted by Joe Ross at 03/28/2001 6:20 PM EST

Engineer on team #330, Beach Bot, from Hope Chapel Academy and NASA/JPL , J&F Machine, and Raytheon.

In Reply to: Re: Watching Nationals
Posted by Kevin Sevcik on 03/28/2001 4:29 PM EST:

: Well, I’m doubting that NASA will be webcasting the nationals. Atleast not purely webcasting them. While it is probably possible to get the necessary high bandwidth internet connection out into the middle of EPCOT’s parking lot, I don’t think FIRST has bothered for two reasons.
: 1. They can’t cover every field with one webcast, and 5 different webcasts would be even harder to pull off.
: 2. There’s not really THAT big of a demand for it.

Last year they had 4 seperate webcast streams going, one for each field. I’m not sure how they pulled it off, but they did.

Where there is a will, there is a way

Joe

PS, at one point in the finals, I had all 4 streams going trying to find my team.

Posted by Jessica Boucher at 03/29/2001 2:36 PM EST

Student on team #237, Sie-H2O-Bots, from Watertown High School and Eastern Awning Systems & The Siemon Company.

In Reply to: they did last year
Posted by Joe Ross on 03/28/2001 6:20 PM EST:

: Last year they had 4 seperate webcast streams going, one for each field. I’m not sure how they pulled it off, but they did.

: Where there is a will, there is a way

: Joe

: PS, at one point in the finals, I had all 4 streams going trying to find my team.

I remember running into the VIP tent on an errand and seeing very comfy chairs surrounding 4 large screen tvs, one for each field :wink:

-Jessica B, #237

Posted by Hymnson at 03/28/2001 5:04 PM EST

Student on team #419, The Rambots, from Boston College High School and UMass Boston and Modern Assistance Programs, Inc…

I thought that the national competition was being aired all 3 days on ESPN?? Isn’t that what happened the previous years?

Posted by David Kelly at 03/28/2001 5:20 PM EST

Student on team #234, Cyber Blue, from Perry Meridian High School [IUPUI] and Rolls-Royce/NASA KSC/ NEC/ Trilithic/ Peregrine/.

In Reply to: What happened to ESPN?
Posted by Hymnson on 03/28/2001 5:04 PM EST:

It hasn’t been on ESPN since (I think) 1998.

David Kelly
Student Captain/ Webmaster/ Driver
CB Team 234

Posted by Kevin Sevcik at 03/28/2001 5:21 PM EST

Other on team #57, Leopards, from BT Washington and the High School for Engineering Professions and Exxon, Kellog Brown & Root, Powell Electrical.

In Reply to: What happened to ESPN?
Posted by Hymnson on 03/28/2001 5:04 PM EST:

ESPN doesn’t have rights to FIRST footage anymore unless something has changed. But even then, ESPN never showed FIRST live. ESPN would film at nationals, then end up showing a 30-60 minute program some time during the summer.

Posted by nick237 at 03/28/2001 6:03 PM EST

Engineer on team #237, sie h2o bots, from Watertown high school ct and sieman co.

In Reply to: Not by a long shot
Posted by Kevin Sevcik on 03/28/2001 5:21 PM EST:

Was it their ESPN’s “big Butt’s” that blocked our view last year of the finals at the nationals, If so good ridence… Who needs to be viewed six months later.
nick237

: ESPN doesn’t have rights to FIRST footage anymore unless something has changed. But even then, ESPN never showed FIRST live. ESPN would film at nationals, then end up showing a 30-60 minute program some time during the summer.

Posted by Nate Smith at 03/29/2001 1:48 PM EST

Other on team #66, Frostbite, from Willow Run High School and GM Powertrain.

In Reply to: Re: Butt out
Posted by nick237 on 03/28/2001 6:03 PM EST:

The last time I’ve actually seen anything on ESPN about FIRST was back in '98, and that didn’t make it on the air until just before kickoff…I’ve got a tape of it, and I just happen to show up once =)

Nate

: Was it their ESPN’s “big Butt’s” that blocked our view last year of the finals at the nationals, If so good ridence… Who needs to be viewed six months later.
: nick237

Posted by Anne Bergeron at 03/28/2001 5:28 PM EST

Coach on team #608, Prowling Panthers, from Georgia Institute of Technology and Georgia Tech/NASA/UTC/Ford/Ike Murray.

NASA has for at least the past two years broadcast on the Friday and Saturday on NASA TV. They also have the webcasts. Last year you could pick which field you wanted to look at on the webcast. I’m sure they will do it again since a lot of teams that are not able to go to Nationals will want to see it.

Posted by Joel G at 03/28/2001 5:46 PM EST

Student on team #442, Knight Riders, from Lee High School and NASA/ BOEING/ MEVATEC.

Can anyone actually email FIRST or NASA Robotics to find out for sure. I need to know because my parents want to tape it and I don’t want the same thing that happened last year (they taped the wrong regional,lol)) Thanks
Joel

Posted by Dave Lavery at 03/29/2001 2:35 PM EST

Engineer on team #116, Epsilon Delta, from Herndon High School and NASA Headquarters.

The FIRST national competition will indeed be broadcast via both webcast and NASA TV this year, as we did last year.

The webcast will be carried during all days of the competition, from all four fields. You will be able to select which fields you want to watch by selecting the appropriate stream. To access the streams, check this web site: http://robots.nasa.gov/

NASA TV will be carrying the broadcast live on Friday and Saturday of the competition. The Friday broadcast will be limited to 3:00-5:00pmEST, and the Saturday broadcast will be interuppted occasionally. This will be to allow coverage of the 2001 Mars Odyssey launch activities. For complete schedules, check the NASA TV web page at http://www.nasa.gov/ntv/breaking.html

By the way, if you are going to nationals, here is a special treat for you: at 11:06am EST on Saturday, walk outside the competition tents and look east. If the weather is clear, you will have a wonderful view from Orlando of the 2001 Mars Odyssey launch. For more information on the mission, and updates on the launch preparations, check http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/

-dave lavery
NASA Headquarters

Posted by Dave Lavery at 03/29/2001 2:35 PM EST

Engineer on team #116, Epsilon Delta, from Herndon High School and NASA Headquarters.

The FIRST national competition will indeed be broadcast via both webcast and NASA TV this year, as we did last year.

The webcast will be carried during all days of the competition, from all four fields. You will be able to select which fields you want to watch by selecting the appropriate stream. To access the streams, check this web site: http://robots.nasa.gov/

NASA TV will be carrying the broadcast live on Friday and Saturday of the competition. The Friday broadcast will be limited to 3:00-5:00pmEST, and the Saturday broadcast will be interuppted occasionally. This will be to allow coverage of the 2001 Mars Odyssey launch activities. For complete schedules, check the NASA TV web page at http://www.nasa.gov/ntv/breaking.html

By the way, if you are going to nationals, here is a special treat for you: at 11:06am EST on Saturday, walk outside the competition tents and look east. If the weather is clear, you will have a wonderful view from Orlando of the 2001 Mars Odyssey launch. For more information on the mission, and updates on the launch preparations, check http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/

-dave lavery
NASA Headquarters

Posted by ChrisH at 03/29/2001 3:38 PM EST

Engineer on team #330, Beach 'Bots, from Hope Chapel Academy and NASA JPL, J & F Machine, Raytheon, et al.

In Reply to: Re: Watching Nationals - the answer
Posted by Dave Lavery on 03/29/2001 2:35 PM EST:

: By the way, if you are going to nationals, here is a special treat for you: at 11:06am EST on Saturday, walk outside the competition tents and look east. If the weather is clear, you will have a wonderful view from Orlando of the 2001 Mars Odyssey launch. For more information on the mission, and updates on the launch preparations, check http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/

Do you think FIRST will adjust the lunch break to account for this? Just thinking of the poor guy who was giving a paper one year in Cocoa Beach at a technical conference. They made him stick to his time slot even though a shuttle launch was scheduled. Nobody knows if he gave it or not, everyone else was outside on the beach. By the time they all came back in it was time for the next paper.

Unfortunately that was the year they sent a co-worker instead of me.

Chris Husmann
Team 330 the Beach’Bots