weather delays?

Posted by nick237 at 12/27/2000 5:28 PM EST

Engineer on team #237, sie h2o bots, from Watertown high school ct and sieman co.

I was wondering what would FIRST do if a major ’ ice/snow ’ storm hit NH the day of kickoff, teams travel from all over the country and parts of the world to attend a one day event.
What if NH had a major ice storm like Arkansas just had and the state was closed for three or more days do you think FIRST would allow extra time added to the final ship time?
Has a problem like this ever occured before…
Just a nightmare of mine.
nick237

Posted by Jessica Boucher at 12/27/2000 5:46 PM EST

Student on team #237, Sie-H2O-Bots, from Watertown High School and Eastern Awning Systems & The Siemon Company.

In Reply to: weather delays?
Posted by nick237 on 12/27/2000 5:28 PM EST:

Well, according to the Weather Channel site for Manchester, NH…Friday will be Partly Cloudy with a high of 30 and a low of 16…so theres no chance of snow, but a need to break out those winter jackets.

-Jessica B, #237, who feels bad for the team reps from the warm weather states…do they have to buy special cloting for their Kickoff trip?

Posted by Jason Rudolph at 12/27/2000 9:29 PM EST

Other on team #459, Rampage, from University of Florida/Eastside High School and .

In Reply to: Re: weather delays?
Posted by Jessica Boucher on 12/27/2000 5:46 PM EST:

: -Jessica B, #237, who feels bad for the team reps from the warm weather states…do they have to buy special cloting for their Kickoff trip?

Well, we don’t have to buy clothes for the weather, well, maybe a few extra sweaters. It’s definitely a change form 70 degrees like it was today here. But it’s ok, cause we get to see snow, which isn’t around much down here in Florida. See you at the kickoff…

Jason

Posted by Jessica Boucher at 12/28/2000 7:43 AM EST

Student on team #237, Sie-H2O-Bots, from Watertown High School and Eastern Awning Systems & The Siemon Company.

Posted by Jason Rudolph on 12/27/2000 9:29 PM EST:

Ok, now I know I’m not supposed to take these weather reports as set in stone, but Saturday is calling for cloudy with a high of 30 and a low of 10, for all you curious ones out there.

-Jessica B, #237

PS - Has there ever been an intra-team snowball fight at Kickoff? :slight_smile:

>But it’s ok, cause we get to see snow, which isn’t around much down here in Florida. See you at the kickoff…

Posted by Justin at 12/28/2000 3:34 PM EST

Other on team Blue Lightning Alumni Association from RWU sponsored by FIRST-A-holics Anonymous.

Posted by Jessica Boucher on 12/27/2000 5:46 PM EST:

Hello All,

Well I think that the weather issue is just another example of how practical a 2nd Kick-Off would be. Not only would it signifgantly cut travel costs for Western teams, but I don’t think it would be that much of a stretch for FIRST. They already do multiple regionals on the same day…and we know that they’re building @ least one more field so they could have the 2nd field @ the 2nd kick-off. Then, our gracious friends @ NASA could link the two events via Sattalite (I hope that is within NASA’s ablities) and Dean could go to one and Woodie could go to the other. I think the only obvious problem that has to be over come here is Time Zones, but hey we’re engineers we otta be able to do something about them right?

Just some thoughts,

-Justin

Posted by Kate at 1/3/2001 5:59 PM EST

Engineer on team #190, Gompei, from Mass Academy of Math and Science and Worcester Polytechnic Institute.

In Reply to: Re: weather delays? - 2nd Kick-Off
Posted by Justin on 12/28/2000 3:34 PM EST:

While FIRST does need to build a second field, they don’t get the problem finished early enough for them to be able to do that… Last year night before kickoff, they realized that they had to change something… I think a couple staff were there until 3 or 4 AM just to be going back for 7 AM for kickoff… I think that this isn’t uncommon and if something this realized the night before, and half of their stuff is on each coast, then it would be difficult to be able to do this…

T190 XO
Kate

Posted by Nate Smith at 1/3/2001 9:27 PM EST

Other on team #66, GM Powertrain/Willow Run HS, from Eastern Michigan University and GM Powertrain.

In Reply to: 2nd field…
Posted by Kate on 1/3/2001 5:59 PM EST:

Also, from what I know from working at the Great Lakes regional last year, the field is only partially put together when it arrives…being the first set of regionals last year, we had to do a lot of drilling and similar work, especially on the diamondplate and plexiglass, during setup…

Nate

: While FIRST does need to build a second field, they don’t get the problem finished early enough for them to be able to do that… Last year night before kickoff, they realized that they had to change something… I think a couple staff were there until 3 or 4 AM just to be going back for 7 AM for kickoff… I think that this isn’t uncommon and if something this realized the night before, and half of their stuff is on each coast, then it would be difficult to be able to do this…

: T190 XO
: Kate