2 Likes

I like that 125 climb, a lot

7 Likes

That fall made me cringe tho

6 Likes

clip:

full match:

12 Likes

If you’re not falling, you’re not trying!

62 Likes

And you put it right back together, better, stronger, faster. That bot is terrifying.

3 Likes
Do you see skipping high to be common?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

1 Like

Common? No
Effective for those who pull it off and stay within the height/extension limits? Yes
Difficult to pull off? Yes
Terrifying swings and falls? Yes
Worth it? Yes, provided you have the resources

30 Likes

Skipping the high rung as in not contacting it at all - no (the 125 climb actually uses bars that lever off of the high rung to align the robot to reach for the trav rung, so they don’t technically skip it, they just don’t hang from it)

Common as in a lot of teams doing it - no.

Common as in a lot of teams that climb to the trav rung not actually hanging from the high rung during their climb - potentially.

2 Likes

From what I can tell, climbs of this style might get down to ~5 seconds with peak optimization. Windmill style climbers likely peak around a similar time.

Climbs that skip straight to the Traverse Rung by driving up a wall are probably in a similar range as those above.

The “monkey bar climber” which I expect will be the most common style of traverse climber, seems likely to be optimized around 10-15 seconds.

Given those assumptions, I don’t think the resources required for any of the first 3 climber styles noted are worth it for all but a very select group of teams (which agrees with your statement). The teams that benefit are likely perennial Einstein contenders.

I don’t think the monkey bar climbers that touch every rung will ever be obsolete at any level of play.

2 Likes

The 125 climb was really fun to watch. I can’t wait to see how everyone else solves the traverse climbs this year. I expect a lot of design convergence on the shooting part of this game, but am excited to see the various solutions to the traverse climbs.

18 Likes

:thinking:

2 Likes

Let’s see yours :wink:

6 Likes

Anyone have up-close pictures of 125 from the Week 0? I don’t really get how the whole climbing sequence works.

1 Like

at ~2:30 they show the climb from the side

10 Likes

Another side view of 125s climb, shows line up time as well. My guess is they’ll be able to optimize the hell out of this though. https://youtu.be/KbR9fPhIpM4

2 Likes

You’ll have to wait for Waco Ronnie.

8 Likes

Hate to be a poopoo-er but the way the swinging robot displaces the entire alliance wall is a bit scary…
While this is an alliance’s own wall, and it doesn’t affect opponents like in 2016, its possible that repeated impacts that high on the wall could cause issues with alignment, wiring, etc.

I’m sure most bots won’t do what 125 is doing, but be prepared to face some tough questions by inspectors. Just because something made it into a week 0 scrimmage doesn’t mean it will be allowed in official competitions.

Things to consider:
G101 concerning unsafe robots, blue box, a. uncontrolled motion that cannot be stopped by the DRIVE TEAM.
G301 F concerning “damaging” arena elements.

Again, I’m sure a team of 125’s level can adjust their climb in a pinch to decrease wall hits. But others seeing this video and thinking it is OK, be cautious.

3 Likes

If our climb knocks the driver station over, the drive team will be stopping the robot’s motion.

11 Likes