Weekly Wins 7-22-2022

Weekly Wins folks, what’s good?

My win is today is the last day of unemployment for me - vacation was nice but now I am looking forward to starting my new job Monday.

14 Likes

Pushed projects to outsource. It’s a good week.

And possibly getting some help… it’s another good week.

3 Likes

Only took 7 years, but my LaTech CyberStorm Hacking Competition poster is finally on an actual wall (utilizing a pre-existing nail I discovered this past week, because I’m renting and refuse to put another nail in the wall).

4 Likes

Found out at 2:18pm Monday that the NASA chief technologist was coming for an hour-long demo 11:05am on Wednesday, and got it together in time without completely falling on my face for the whole hour (only after). One of those wins you never ever want to win again.

14 Likes

I got accepted into the undergraduate honors thesis program at my university. The real work starts now, but qualifying after a rough couple of years feels like a victory in and of itself.

11 Likes

Today marks the 2nd full week of trying to inventory all computers on a university campus with the goal being done before the beginning of September. We are technically half a week ahead, but need to redo the first set of buildings due to the requirements changing early on. At the pace we are going though, we should have a fairly nice buffer that still has us completing this ahead of schedule.

The one downside is that the list excludes a couple buildings on “”“the same campus”"" 30 minutes away. This campus currently houses all CS/Design students, and I know has multiple labs full of both Imacs and PC’s. We still arent sure how to factor this into the schedule…

Currently the oldest device we’ve inventoried still in use was a Power Mac G4, built towards the end of the G4 lifecycle based on its CPU speed (early 2001) with a RAM upgrade. Its likely we’ve hit a couple older computers (namely, hit one from 1997 yesterday that was long dead but wasn’t allowed to be sent out as e-waste) but the G4 was still operational, complete with a Studio Display from the same era.

8 Likes

Got my and my wife’s photo of this year’s winners at a local scholarship awards celebration this week. I help high school new grads get to

for STEM education with the perpetuating income from my endowment.
https://www.facebook.com/BerrienCommunityFoundation/photos/5249634461772873

5 Likes

Surfed a lot.
Had first robotics summer meeting (they just finished waxing floors).
Went to a pub trivia night with friends/coworkers, and we dominated.

5 Likes

I landed back in Ohio on Wednesday and while my trip to Israel is sadly over, I’m happy to be back home.
I also built a few LEGO Technic sets because I am basically a child. I should see if I can start a LEGO club at my school :smiley:

2 Likes

Got to finally get out on the track with the race car this weekend after putting a transmission in, balance shaft had other plans after running at 7,000 RPM…

8 Likes

I got a ‘great deal’ on some pool noodles today, but I’m concerned for Rural King, my source….well not THAT concerned, but really? What’s with the maths? Noticed this after getting home….

2 Likes

Didn’t they calculate the “Saved” right? (8 * $1.99 - $8.48 = $7.44) Sweet deal though, better than a BOGO!

Also <3 the term “Water Noodle”, this is my new replacement term.

4 Likes

Yeah it was just a confusing way to show it!

Water GAME noodle i think! :slight_smile:

I’m actually getting my stuff together since I move into college in less than a month. However, this means spending more money than I’d previously thought I would have to 🥲

1 Like

Slight bonus win, I’ve been working on robot rebuild. Two new tires, two new inner tubes, and a new (upgraded) guard in progress. Next up, the front sliders.

And then I get to figure out controlling Spikes with an Arduino, and try to scare up some FP gearboxes.

1 Like

This doesn’t shock me at all man…

If you’re talking the huge plastic ones, we’ve got several.

Thankfully, it’s pretty easy; everything seems to play together nicely.

Win:
I finally mounted my center monitor to the wall, about 8 months after plopping it on some McMaster-Carr catalogues. Literally doubled my desk real estate as the side monitors can move back as well.

1 Like

I went into the woods within a mile of my house to do a globeatnight.org report. The most stars I’ve ever seen in an urban or suburban setting. I also saw a meteor and three bats.
I’ve been brushing up my MATLAB coding skills through Mathworks’ Cody web site. It’s scored as a sort of code golf, but with the goal being a minimal parse tree rather than number of characters. I’m leader on several problems, one by 20 points!
And I probably mentioned it one of the two previous weeks, but I’m now an empty-nester. @PereBear got a job in Texas as an HVAC balance tech*. Now I’ll have to rebuild the I.T. and mechanical skills that @ExploitSage and @perebear have been covering for me the last decade or more.

• Curiously, at Northshore Knockout, he had to duck out from his role as head referee for a few matches because he was the guy keeping the place cool and dry.
2 Likes

I first parsed that as “glob eat night” and wondered what was being eaten.

3 Likes