Weekly Wins 9-23-2022

That quest is to share some wins from this week.

What magic thing happened this week? (Look, I’ve been doing these weekly for 2 years at this point, I have to mix it up)

I had a pretty productive couple of days at work this week. I’m calling that a win. Feel like I’m actually where I can do some good which is a feeling I’ve not felt in a while.

3 Likes

A friend and I went to Antalya this week (my friend is also my lawyer :slight_smile: ) for a witness hearing in a case that will hopefully allow me to become a citizen of Türkiye in the next year. While in town we also did some exploring, seeing cool sites, etc. It was a nice three day trip to the Mediterranean :slight_smile: Also saw some of my extended family there which was fun :slight_smile: (they were testifying on behalf of me).

Lower Duden Waterfall empties off the seaside cliffs the city is set up on.

AntRay (Antalya Tramway system) heading towards the city center, beneath the mountains that surround the city.

7 Likes

As I’m writing this im eating breakfast in preparation for driving our robot at our offseason today.
Plus, we have a lot of new people, and a lot of them seem really dedicated, so its looking good.
I also didn’t get much homework this weekend:)

6 Likes

Good luck. Going to be watching some of the matches today between football games

4 Likes

I am taking a digital SAT test thing in like an hour.

I don’t think I failed my calc test on Thursday.

Started rehearsing for my school play, and it seems like a fun show.

As for robotics, we started working on inventorying our stuff, fixing our robot, and getting sponsors.

6 Likes

My wife and I went to the St. Joseph County (MI) Fair, along with a friend from our church. My wife and the friend lived in houses about 5 miles from each other, and the friend knew my wife’s uncle in school. We had a great time, and splurged on elephant ears and caramel corn.

3 Likes

At 5:15 PM yesterday we finally got our new robot for our off-season events working (the first one is tomorrow).

We also finally had a robot fall for the first time this week but it’s a win because nothing was damaged except for a CAN wire coming unplugged :tada:

7 Likes

I technically finished it Sunday so we’ll lump it in with this week’s wins.

I completed my latest robo-project with a mini 910’s Deep Space robot. Overall it was a pretty simple build and I’m inspired to do more decorative prints backlit by LEDs.

Pictures

Team-wise we now have swerve modules in hand (if only we had sensors and brushless motor controllers to go with them).

4 Likes

About 9 other alumni and I started the FIRST Alumni Club at Trine University, or FACT. Our goal is to either host a community team at Trine for schools in the Angola area, or to start a team at a specific high school. We’re super excited for everything ahead of us!

7 Likes

Wins:

• I surfed before work twice this week.
  • my assistant principal told me they are on board with trying to make robotics a campus program (instead of a tolerated, and occasionally paraded about, club). And wanting to get a set of CTE courses going. Bonus.
  • totaled ~50 new student sign ups for robotics. Time to get them working.

Possible win? My principal dropped by to tell me he just got back from a trip to Dos Pueblos HS and was in awe at their engineering program… and the robot museum (RIP 1717). Need to get him a copy of The New Cool.

PS: @AlexBurchard do you work for the Turkiye tourism board? :grin:

9 Likes

Hahaha, I think a lot of people on the internet probably believe that, but if I worked for the tourism board, I think I’d have thrown some pictures of Pamukkale and Kapadokya by now :stuck_out_tongue:

But for real, there’s good reasons Türkiye is like the 6th most visited country on earth. It’s a really neat place. :slight_smile: In a very very compact space, we have a huge climatic range - temperate rainforests(Black Sea), tropical-like beaches (Antalya, Mersin), Moderate climate (İstanbul cooler, Izmir warmer) Erzurum like places resemble Chicago’s summer/winter extremes, we have our own salt lake, and our own Grand Canyon. It’s a wild place for such a tiny country, in comparison to the US at least. Most people come for the beaches in Antalya, and Mugla, second is the history (largely people go to İstanbul for that), and then places like Pamukkale (cotton castle in English - massive gorgeous travertine deposits next to a neat roman ruined city), Ephesus, and Kapadokya.

Come compete in our regionals, and then see the 6th most visited country on earth - see what all the hype is about :slight_smile:

Perhaps we can say I work for the FRC Türkiye Tourism Office :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

After getting MK2 swerve about fully functional, I’ve begun working on MK4i swerve and have had great progress thus far! Still working on getting the turning motors to behave but I’m very close to it fully functioning!

1 Like

And not 100% a win, but I’m injured for the rest of the sports season… which means I can start going to the gym again.

1 Like

Speak of the devil, I’ve gotten it 100% functional, including autonomous and rotation (which still needs work on MK2)!

2 Likes

Just won our first event. Granted, an offseason, but a new driveteam and a whole lot of hype !!! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

One of my major projects at work has been giving myself and my boss a lot of stress, and a lot of sleepless nights, because it’s THAT critical and hasn’t been tested. We finally tested it today.

And it WORKED the FIRST TIME! Better than I expected, and certainly enough to take a lot of stress off our plates. Now I’m just worried that my boss (who wasn’t there but got videos sent to him) will ask for an immediate repeat…

5 Likes

We had 4 potential new mentors at our team meeting, which is awesome.

On a personal note, I took my daughter to a Trombone Shorty concert.

Upon learning this her teammate Becky asked aren’t her you Trombone Shorty? :wink: – this might be a fair comment:

7 Likes

Went to the newly opened Makerspace during its open hours, did some 3d printing of some prototype weapon rings.

1 Like

Attended the Remix off-season event with the team I started mentoring the beginning of this summer. They got more experience repairing and modifying their Everybot.

Got to meet up with friends on other teams and see what they worked on over the summer.

9 Likes

That 2881 bot continues to break my brain.

5 Likes