WE'VE DONE IT!

I think it’s a bit harder to figure out exposure to the program because school sizes vary drastically. Just something to think about.

Wow :ahh: ! I just downloaded the spreadsheet and took a look. It’s quite an amazing feat for you guys to organize all of that information. When did you guys start working on this?

Of course they do; however, there are also teams like 1305 (NNSRI) that are actually a conglomeration of schools in rural areas. Its not perfect math, I was merely giving an example of how we’re nowhere close to 100% market penetration. Andrew posted an interesting counter-argument above, in that the logistics of operating the program the way its run now with that many schools involved are completely ludicrous.

Using Ontario as an example, if there were 911 teams in Ontario:

Of the 65 Ontario teams last year, 37 attended 1 regional, 23 attended 2 regionals, and 5 attended 3 regionals, for a total 98 event slots occupied by the 65 teams, and and average 1.507 event slots per team. Assuming this holds roughly true during growth:

911 Teams would need 1373 event slots, an average of 40 slots per event means we’d need 35 events. 35 events in a 6 week span, means an average of a little less than 6 events per week. Ontario would need 7 fields on its own. 7 fields and 35 venues.

Each event requires a number of volunteers. Lets conservatively put that number at 40. 40 volunteers times 6 concurrent events per week means 240 volunteers MINIMUM, and that’s only valid if the same people volunteer every week. If every volunteer were unique at every event, we’d need 40x35= 1400 volunteers.

Those 35 events would send 35x6 = 210 teams to CMP. (This discounts repeat winners, which we all know happens, but even the minimum possible, assuming the same teams won each week would be 36, still ~10% of CMP’s capacity, just for Ontario)

Throw up a picture?! I miss those OI’s, they took 3 seconds to boot and connect, not 45-90.

-Dave

Continuing this discussion: There are 24,348 public high schools in the United States. I put together a quick spreadsheet to compute these numbers. I attached it here. It also includes the number of schools in every state in the United States.

US FIRST Scalability.xls (46.5 KB)

US FIRST Scalability.xls (46.5 KB)

I remember when the 1500’s were rookies and I thought that FIRST would never get bigger than that.

Can’t wait to see what happens when we hit team 9999.

In the beginning this sort of fell out of other records we started keeping in 2005. Then it became a community effort in this 2009 thread.

P.S. Nice data to play with Andrew.

The T5K problem?

Although FLL seemed to handle it.

Due to the IP address allocations, the current control system scheme will fail at either 10,000, or 25,500, depending on the assumptions that were made in the software.

Well, not exactly a 3-digit display model, but if you’re feeling nostalgic:

So how many other people are looking forward to when the total number of teams reaches OVER 9000!!!

Of course! Still take only 3 seconds to boot, and still work great. Even the old Victor 883’s, with diodes, still work perfectly!

IFI_OI_small2.jpg
IFI_RC_small.jpg

IFI_OI_small2.jpg
IFI_RC_small.jpg

The Greater Kansas City area just created our own umbrella organization called KCSTEM and is through UMKC. So far it has been great, although I may be biased due to being on the FLL planning committee.

I’m not so much trying to say that FRC can’t scale to being in every high school, so much as I’m saying that FRC as we know it (with kickoff, KoP, 6 week build, 6 week competition season + a 400 team CMP) can’t scale to that level. Theres simply not enough money, manpower, and space for it to make sense. Something would have to give. Breaking it into regions, as has happened with FiM and MAR is a step in the right direction of improving cost-effective scalability, but even that model is still a long way from being able to support a team at every school.

I agree, but remember - FIRST is not FRC.

Fixed. Semantics as far as I’m concerned, but whatever.