What control laws are you using?

We’re using the standard PID controller that comes from WPILIBJ in several places in our code. We just had a random thought, wondering what you other teams might be using for control law. Are your mentors having you do anything more advanced or different? Is it all code, or math-based like a PID controller?

If you’re willing, please go into as much detail as you can. It’s just an interesting question for us, and maybe it’ll help some other teams too.

Thanks!

If you want detail about PID, check out pages 198-209 & 817-827 in the CRC Control Handbook:

I have a PhD candidate mentoring us in control, that’s not the question. I was asking what other teams are using, and how they’re implementing it.

*I should have been clearer. The pronoun “you” in my post was intended to be generic; it was not directed at you personally. No offense was intended.

None taken.

Ether,

Is this newer version good or should I get the 1996 version that you show?

-Hugh

Ah. I hadn’t checked to see if a newer edition was available. I have the 1996 edition here. From a very brief review, it looks like the 2011 edition covers all the topics in the 1996 edition, but they re-arranged the sections. I’ll take a closer look.

Hugh,

Here’s a link to the 1996 edition Table of Contents:

To answer the OP’s question, bang-bang was a successful method last year for shooter wheel speed control.

Team 123 used TBH last year: http://www.chiefdelphi.com/media/papers/2674

Excellent, thanks Ether. Have you heard of any teams doing multiple input/output controllers?

No, but I’ve seen a few posts about Kalman filters… but not much implementation detail or data.

Hmm… That’s something we were wondering about, specifically if they’re viable to implement without access to the FPGA.

Team 254 did a MIMO controller two years ago. They utilized state space techniques, but I’m not aware if they used pole-placement, LQR, or something else to design their controllers.

There’s a thread on it at http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98267

Very interesting. Thank you!