What do you use to make your team site!?

I was wonding what software, scripting language, or whatever you use to design develop the team site.
its would be great if you guys could mention why you choose to use that perticular sofware of languagelike php or cgi.

Monta Vista Robotics Team
mvrt.com
also have mvrt.org

Status v2 alomost complete
Photoshop for graphics
Dreamweaver MX for writing php, for basic html and CSS and javascript.
I love dreamweaver for styles is very easy to create style sheets and create tables through it. It is also great editing tool for website related files with syntax highlighting.
I’ve used php because of many reasons, mainly because its very easy to implement it with mysql. Also is my favorite scripting lang.
I do know cgi but i dont like using it.
Main components of the website. there are 3 main components for the webite that are made by php.
The calendar, news posting, image gallery.
The image gallery script is a huge script by called 4images and i have customised to fit the site design. php also makes the page loading faster.
javascript is used for the nifty navigation system.
Write know there are many things needed to be implemented though thats going to be the project of my this years website team. Its not fully compatible with netscape, mozilla and opera and the site team is going to do that in the next few months.
over all the site has dramatically chaged from V1 which is www.mvrt.com/v1/

Akshay Dodeja

CoffeeCup www.coffeecup.com

chiefdelphi.com, behind the scenes, involves HTML, PHP, CSS, and some CGI (PERL).

I edit everything with vi or vim, unless it involves the forums, which is all template based and editable on the admin webpage.

The other pages all have a PERL script that generates the menu at the top.

And HTML/CSS is used throughout the site.

a MySQL database holds all the data for the forums, white paper, picture gallery, and other interactive areas.

I dont like FrontPage, its way too bloated. It is good, though, if you don’t want to ever actually look at the code, and if you like all the MS extras. (and know that your users can see all those little extras)

I used CoffeeCup HTML editor waaay back when I was learning HTML, but then got sick of it, and started using Notepad. Then, once all my sites were hosted on remote UNIX servers, I just started SSH’ing in, and editing on the server with Pico. Once I learned vi in college, I started using that as my main editor.

i used to use notepad to do my editing but i have switched to dreamweaver only because i can have all of my files open and accessable at once. I don’t use any of dreamweavers tools, just as an overglorified notepad :slight_smile: it helps alot though so i can remember what i changed and what i need to upload.

MySQL is the db and i use my own homemade user system, news system, links, and soon calendar and photos.

p.s. (If anyone knows an easy way to do a calendar thing in php help would be much appreciated. You would post an event and time which would be thrown into mysql and then i want a table calendar view. I know it can be done, im just really busy right now to try and figure it out.)

vi all the way :slight_smile: All my coding (HTML or Perl) is done in it.

Gimp for images. It’s like Photoshop…but nicer. And cheaper. Like a lot cheaper. Free. Free is nice. I feel more at home with the Gimp than Photoshop. It does about the same things…except for some of the super-special-effects that nobody will ever use in Photoshop.

I despise WYSIWYG editors. shudder Anyone that can’t write HTML shouldn’t be making webpages It is, by far, the easiest language out there.

I run Apache 1.3.26 and use Perl 5.8.0 (recently upgraded from 5.6.1) (Hopefully I will be getting a server soon…then no more hosting a webpage on the stupid family PC…dedicated linux server! w00t!)

I think PHP4 is also a module in Apache. I started to learn PHP…but I gave up due to my love for Perl :slight_smile:

*Originally posted by evulish *
I think PHP4 is also a module in Apache. I started to learn PHP…but I gave up due to my love for Perl :slight_smile: **

PHP4 is a module in apache and also has a cgi executable which is crappy.
/me likes php cause its like c++ but a little better.

PHP4 is a module in apache and also has a cgi executable which is crappy.
/me likes php cause its like c++ but a little better. **

php is a lot easier then c++… thats why i love it… you can do hecka lot of cool things… btw mvrt backend is totally powered by php and mysql… if i already didnt mention that…

Perl is sooo much cooler :slight_smile:

*Originally posted by evulish *
**Perl is sooo much cooler :slight_smile: **
The only thing I don’t like about perl is that it wasn’t really made for web use. Because of that, it is really slow and resource intensive in most cases. Yes, Perl can do pretty much anything you want, but it takes a while.

Photoshop and 3DS Max for graphics…and Dreamweaver for everything else

Mmm…which is why I use it for much more than just webpages. And yeah…it is a bit slow in some areas…but it’s still awesome :slight_smile:

Sites with statements like “Site Best viewed in 1024x768. IE 5.5+ Compatible only!” are awful. Don’t makes IE specific websites. No offense, Akshay, I just hate that.

netscape doesnt show any sites correctly. it’s not my fualt that people use a browser that doesnt work.

*Originally posted by David Kelly *
**netscape doesnt show any sites correctly. it’s not my fualt that people use a browser that doesnt work. **

Grrrrr :mad:

It’s not that Netscape doesn’t display website correctly. It’s just bad web design with no regard for standards that makes them not show correctly in Netscape. People are designing just for Internet Explorer’s self imposed web standards, not the W3 standards, that’s the problem. Besides, there are lots of other browsers besides IE and Netscape. You’re all a bunch of dullards if you agree with David.

www.team639.org is all made by hand… all php, perl, cgi, html use notepad… the hardcore way. images, obviously, are edited with photoshop. we’re changing servers right now so the authentication process is messed up and under changes. as for those people who think netscape is messed up, you are wrong. I personally prefer IE, but NN is perfectly fine. you should always verify your code with w3c. it’s not at all the browsers fault. as said before, you just have to follow standards. right now, as i’m writing this, i’m using Opera 6.04, which is so great at caching and so much faster and versatile than IE or NN that it just beats them all. it, however, picks up on almost every single detail of your code that’s wrong so things may look a little weird :smiley: I’ve also got mozilla running which is very nice since it’s open source, but opera is awesome.

btw, i just validated this page of html… 103 errors. lots of them are small things that the browser doesn’t mind. nearly no page is perfect, but should be viewed exactly the same in any browser.

*Originally posted by David Kelly *
**netscape doesnt show any sites correctly. it’s not my fualt that people use a browser that doesnt work. **

Auhg! DON’T SAY THAT! Netscape works GREAT if you know how to write correct HTML. Nothing should be optimized for ANYTHING. Check out www.w3.org if you want to learn correct HTML.

I, for one, use a text browser half the time…not much is ‘optimized’ for lynx.

And I agree…Opera is awesome :slight_smile: Browsers with MDI view are the best…too many popups? just close the main browser…all gone!

i just realized that there isn’t adobe golive 6.0 listed as one of the poll choices… that’s a great program, and unlike dreamweaver, you need to know some html before you can just pull off a website. in fact, using photoshop, golive, livemotion, and illustrator is a pretty phat combination. of course, you do need the flash mx to make it all pretty.

*Originally posted by jon *
**Sites with statements like “Site Best viewed in 1024x768. IE 5.5+ Compatible only!” are awful. Don’t makes IE specific websites. No offense, Akshay, I just hate that. **

Yes ofcourse, as i said in my other posts my website team is going to work on the compatibility for other browsers. Right now it only supprts IE in nexxt few months it will be compatible with mozilla, Netscape and Opera.
But i still preffer IE anyday…

i had used FrontPage and notpad in the past. but since school has such good deals on software at school, i was able to purchase Macromedia Studio MX for the price of $100. im using Dreamweaver and and Flash on our new site :cool:

*Originally posted by monsieurcoffee *
**btw, i just validated this page of html… 103 errors. lots of them are small things that the browser doesn’t mind. **

Yeah.
There are things that are specific to certain browsers, to please those browsers. they arent w3 compliant, but they make it work on all browsers, and dont cause too many problems on those browsers that dont use/understand that particular tag.