What else do you do related to robotics

those that continue working around robotics in the offseason… what do you do?

Do you work with robotics professionally? Side Projects? Curious to hear what others have going on!

Learning CAD

3 Likes

It’s a hard time to keep the team going forward properly.

What we did until now is preparing and doing projects from home.
Now, that our school is open again we try to get the approval to work from our shop and do projects together.
Other than that we work hard to make our shop better and more equipped.

Grant writing.

2 Likes

Cad grind never stops

7 Likes

Learning blender to make a reveal video. It’s pretty fun

• I learned basic CAD despite me being a programmer
  • Messed around with TBA API
  • Ported robot code from Python to Java + Command Based
  • Made a few fun assignments in Python for the other programmers except no one has done it :frowning_face:
  • Also made a scouting app!!! (or improved on someone’s app to make our own)
  • I’ve also watched too many FRC related videos (from robot reveals to Karthik’s presentation)

It’s honestly been a pretty fun past two months for me doing all of this. Lots of time to do whatever I want to do.

I’m a Professional injection molding automation engineer. Multiple award winning in fact! Currently working on a fun automation cell with a Wittmann robot, two Fanuc robots, two injection molding machines, and Keyence vision systems. Lots of fun!

4 Likes

Learning Python to try and do some stuff for a potential scouting app
Learning Blender and Fusion CAM
Full Robot CADs from past year games
Too much behind the bumpers vids(specifically 2019)

• CAD such as F4 CADathon and Robots to the Rescue, as well as whatever random thing I feel like making

• Struggling through programming

• Team has used this time to decide next year’s student leadership and such

• Working on educational resources and future ideas for the team

Contribute to frc-docs and attempt to improve my team’s preseason training and projects.

I’m a software mentor, so I teach my FRC team’s software students whatever they’ll need during a season: enough C++ to express their intent, FRC software idioms, considerations for real-time software development, version control, and control theory. Controls has been a super big focus in the earlier-than-usual offseason because everyone’s already up to speed on the rest since they just built a robot.

I contribute to WPILib and facilitate community contributions related to controls. It’s been a busy time.

I’m also learning more robotics-related math year-round to expand my toolbox. Lagrangian mechanics is next on my reading list, because it’ll make designing MIMO controllers for things like swerve a bit easier (more accurate mathematical models means better optimal control). A lot of modern controls is overkill for fielding an effective FRC robot, but I find FRC provides a good R&D sandbox too.

4 Likes

reaching out to companies, grant writing, outreach scheduling (well, when we aren’t in a pandemic), and learning how to code AI

1 Like

A couple friends and I are making 3D printed fairyweight (1.5g) combat robots. The intent was to have a little tournament at our joint grad party, but obviously that’s not happening… We still plan on trying to run a tournament later in the summer before we all head off to college, presuming we’re allowed to actually head off.

i cad for fun sometimes

3 Likes

I volunteer with a program called Bricks 4 Kidz, an after school program that lets kids build and play with Lego sets that model the world. It’s so much fun, especially if you like working with kids, and is really rewarding, both for the kids and for you.

I also CAD for fun and make 3d prints (when I had access to them at our school).

1 Like

Mostly been learning Onshape and doing designing for their virtual design challenge.

Season Long Fantasy FIRST, which is the FRC version of fantasy sports. To compete well in regions I don’t know much about, I develop models to predict how well teams are going to do on the field and what awards they will win at every regional and district event before we even see the game.

(Disclaimer: SLFF is an unreasonable amount of work, I don’t recommend it to any sane person)

4 Likes

Same, although I don’t know why you would develop models when you could just TBA 60 teams in the span of 10 minutes and pick which one has the best name

In all seriousness, I do that plus I’m starting to dive deeper into Python and Solidworks on my own, partially for school projects, partially for the fun of it. I’m also writing up playbooks and case studies for my team about scouting/strategy and awards, two of the major things I did on the team and want to pass on knowledge thereof in documented form before I graduate.

Factual postscript

TLC would have taken first place had the season not been cancelled

2 Likes

Protip, dont solo it. The amount of time SLFF takes if you want to do reasonably good is way higher than you’d expect.

Like Danny, ive also taken up Python for scouting and personal projects, along with dabbing occasionally into Blender for fun.