I have been reading off and on the last few days, and well… …it isn’t pretty.
While there have not been a lot of flagrant fouls, there have been a ton of these little tickie tack fouls.
I don’t really blame folks, it is human nature to point out things that bother us and to ignore the things that are just fine.
SO… …I want to give folks a chance to go out of their way to recognize some of the things that FIRST did right with the kickoff, game, etc.
I’ll start us off:
1) The Tetra: I think the game piece is pretty good. Not a ball but still pretty easy to make. Should be durable enough. Something new, but not too strange either.
2) The FIX-IT-WINDOW + Definitions. I initial thought, “What the heck are they defining all these things for? Have we all turned into lawyers?” But by the time I read the bit about ending software development and the part about UPGRADES after your last regional, I became a convert. While you may quible about this or that rule, generally they are pretty clear and I think we can work with them. Let’s not be too Lawyerly. I think we can all understand the intent of the rules and I think we can all follow it. To me the idea is that we have to all agree to put our minds to trying to follow the spirit of these rules and not look for ways to get the around them.
3) Autonomy. This is very strange for me to say that FIRST got Autonomy right because, generally I hate it. But, this year they did a lot of things right. They gave an easy thing to do and a hard thing to do. The sensor seems useful and it seems necessary (if you choose to do the hard thing). They have made it hard for someone to program a “bat out of Hxxx” mode, who’s only intention is to disrupt other folks autonomy program. If you manage to do something in autonomous mode, can get point that are yours forever and an advantage that is difficult (but not impossible) to overcome.
**4) Action. ** I think there is going to be a LOT of action. A lot of robot interaction. A lot of falling robots.
5) The kickoff event. I liked the Game Show - funny and informative. Dave gave his usual great speech. Woodie was in good form and he even gave me an unsolicited (but welcome) plug Dean’s speech was good enough (and when you consider last year’s Championship Speech, he should be listed as most improved speaker
6) The New Chassis. I was scared stiff when I heard that FIRST was going to design a chassis and give it to every team. Looking at it, they did a pretty good job. Hats off to them.
There are many more things, but that is enough to get us going.
I am officially declaring this a NO NEGATIVITY THREAD.*
Positive posts only!!! There are 100’s of other threads where folks are discussing places for improvement or even to debate the merits of another persons positive opinion. This thread is not for debate about the merits. IT IS SOLELY FOR THE PURPOSES OF LISTING YOUR OPINION ABOUT THINGS THAT FIRST DID RIGHT.
So, let’s hear it.
*I encourage all readers of this tread to rain negative reputation points down on anywone who turns this thread around into a chance to complain about this or that thing that FIRST did wrong.