What gets you 2 points

The one-page summary says a robot needs to be hanging to get 2-points, but the video showed one siting ontop of the platform. The manual just says above the plane. What’s correct?

The Manual is correct, unless it is corrected by an official update.

Seeing as a plane is infinitesimally thin, I would say that by sitting on top of the platform, you ARE above the plane. It’s a question that is worthy of Q&A in my opinion, though, just to make sure.

Section 7.2: ELEVATED: A ROBOT that is completely above the plane of the PLATFORM and in contact with the TOWER shall be considered ELEVATED.

It’s (presumably) above the plane and definitely in contact if it’s on the platform. So the question would simply be, is being on top of the platform counted as being above the plane?

<G04> “b. Each ELEVATED ROBOT is awarded 2 points, or each SUSPENDED ROBOT is awarded 3 points.”

7.2 Definitions: “ELEVATED: A ROBOT that is completely above the plane of the PLATFORM and in contact with the TOWER shall be considered ELEVATED.”

My guess is that a robot sitting on the PLATFORM is above the plane of the PLATFORM. So if it is in contact with the TOWER it scores 2 points. Ask Q&A to confirm.

Under the assumption that said surface is completely flat and is the plane, it would be, otherwise we have some problems with physics, because otherwise the implication is that the robot is physically intersecting the surface.

During the game animation, stop it as the camera goes over the tunnel and the bumps. You will see an additional bump right belop the large bump with the 45 degree slope. Then let the video play until that blue robot drives into the tunnel. The point of that scene is to illustrate possibilities on how to score 2 points. Either you hang from the bar, go on the platform, or just go into the tunnel.

The game animation is not the manual and should not be used for purposes of rules questions.

The tunnel does not count under <G04> and the definition of “Elevated”.

ELEVATED: A ROBOT that is completely above the plane of the PLATFORM and in contact with the TOWER shall be considered ELEVATED.

<G04> Scoring - ALLIANCE scores are determined by a combination of the number of BALLS SCORED in the ALLIANCE GOALS during the MATCH and the number or ROBOTS in the following states at the conclusion of the MATCH, where:
a. Each SCORED BALL is worth 1 point, and
b. Each ELEVATED ROBOT is awarded 2 points, or each SUSPENDED ROBOT is awarded 3 points.

So really the question I think most teams have is, What is considered the plane of the platform and where does it start? Can a robot sitting on the platform touching a part of the tower be considered elevated?

Also I want to add one more question, Could a robot pick up another robot and make it touch the tower? Would this be considered elevated? I don’t see any place in the manual where it says it isn’t elevated as long as it is above the plane.

It seems to me that the PLATFORM is part of the TOWER:

**6.2.4 The TOWERS **
[FONT=Arial,Arial][size=3]A TOWER is located in the center of each BUMP. Each TOWER is composed of a base and a pipe superstructure. The PLATFORM is the horizontal surface of the base, and provides a solid surface to support ROBOTS during the game.

PLATFORM = part of base.
base = component of TOWER.

PLATFORM = component of TOWER.

Just sitting on the platform, you are contacting the tower, per 6.2.4. You don’t need to touch the bar. You are ELEVATED just by sitting there.

Any disputes of this? This is the most logical conclusion and the one I’m going with unless the GDC says otherwise via Q&A or Team Update.

[/size][/FONT]