What information does your team include on your CAD sheets?

I am making a packets of CAD sheets with drawings of each of our parts and I was wondering what size sheets you guys use and also what information you include on each sheet (scale? quantity?). Also in you respective CAD program, did you make your own title block or did you use a default one?

We typically use the ANSI landscape template, which I believe is the default. For the title block we just fill in the one that comes with the default. We are a very small team, so we don’t worry about filling out every little thing, but it still works for us.

part name, part number, subsystem, quantity, material, scale, who created the drawing/ordered it which mentor checked the drawing, date, and a signature when the design is approved to be sent to manufacturing. we use inventor and created our own template

Offhand, usually part name is the main thing in the title block; usually the quantity needed is put somewhere more visible. Date is usually on there as well. Scale too. Actually the scale is very important to have on there as you can derive dimensions by measuring the drawing (if someone made sure it printed to scale).

After printing, some of our sheets develop ink markings about “do this again, with these missing dimensions”. The MOST important thing to include is ALL the dimensions for ALL the features (size and location). Forget a dimension and someone will likely be dropping by the CAD team with a request for it.

[snark on] Unless you are one of those Mentor only teams… (AKA Pine wood Derby)[/snark on]
As a matter of process, developing and using best practices is a good thing. But don’t let perfection get in the way getting the job done.
Do what is useful for your team. If you are handing it off to some one to make: Useful dimensions, material, quantity, part name or use. Sent out a third party needs everything. For you presentation binder, cosmetics become important. Fortunately modern CAD program makes dimensioning, notes, even exploded views easy. Not like back in the day when we had to make our own ink for the quill pens.

For FRC drawings the first thing I do, nine times out of ten, is delete the whole title block.

I am way more concerned about getting the drawing views as large as possible, the dimensions as clearly spaced as possible, and as many reference dimensions as seems appropriate, then I am about revision numbers, dates, inspector initials etc. Most of the default title blocks out there are just wild overkill for an FRC team and take up valuable sheet space.

Instead, I’ll include important text information as bulleted notes. Things like general tolerance rules (though I try to avoid tolerencing at all, which is a whole other subject), critical dimensions, materials, stock sizes, order of operations etc. can all go in notes that’ll have more room to breath then they would in a title block.

Remember your audience. You shouldn’t be trying to create fully dimensioned GD&T exemplars to send out for overseas manufacturing. Dimension according to the process, don’t be afraid to include reference dimensions, explain your design intent with notes and talk the fabricator through the drawing and how you think the part should be made. They may have opinions or spot a missing dimension, and putting hte part in context can help them get it made right the first time.