what is the point of FIRST?

Is first about student who do 80 to 90 percent of the work on their robot or is first abotu a school getting a llot of engineers to make their robot and students just sit and watch. I complement those team that has really good robot THAT THEY DIDNT BUILD cause they look cool. But i stronly takes away the point of having FIRSt

acctually if you take what FIRST stands for, the point of FIRST is to inspire students to go into engineering, and why do we have to go into this discussion every year?

That’s somewhat mean. I see you joined up this month? Are you just a rookie who thinks that the robots posted up are all done by engineers? First thing, the students would definitely speak up as they would want to be participating in the construction of their robot; not watching. Some things, however, are done by engineers such as welding. If not done properly, you melt aluminum and screw up your frame or w/e. Engineers are there to do what students can’t but can design. It’s still in the spirit of FIRST to brainstorm and do as much as you can. To say that a robot is built completely by engineers is unfair. How can you tell that?

It is not in my nature to be rude, especialy on CD.

BUT SHUT UP!!!THERE ARE LOTS OF TEAMS OUT THERE WHERE STUDENTS DO EVERYONCE OF THE WORK THAT IS SAFE FOR THEM TO DO AND THEY COME OUT WITH SOME AMAZING ROBOTS!!!

YOU NEED TO GATHER FACTS AND NOT FLIP OUT OVER STUFF U DONT KNOW ABOUT!!!

FIRST is NOT about robots.

FIRST is about young people meeting professional people and learning that they can be interesting and fun.

FIRST is about young people learning about science and technology first hand.

FIRST is about young people discovering that it is okay to me smart.

FIRST is not about who builds your robot or even if your robot wins.

FIRST is about discovery of a future for yourself.

Ken Loyd
Team #64:)

CALM DOWN EVERYONE!

Please take a look at these two posts before you make up your mind about opinions about other teams:

http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=557

http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15040

I will wait till you finish reading those before I say anything else.

It was just a questuion that came across my mind. Ok However i do agree with you one what you about FIRST. However someschool have a better facility to do the robots and the area they live in they get better support form eengieers and school principal etc. SO i guest i worng

*Originally posted by Ken L *
**Please take a look at these two posts before you make up your mind about opinions about other teams:

http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=557

http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15040

I will wait till you finish reading those before I say anything else. **

You might be reading for a couple months…
Unless of course that was the point…

This has been discussed before.

Search
http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/search.php?s=

Wetzel

For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology

*Originally posted by Solace *
**You might be reading for a couple months…
Unless of course that was the point… **

If it is worth the time, I wouldn’t mind spending a few months ;).

TYPING IN CAPS MEANS IM YELLING RIGHT?

haha

sure, the point of FIRST is to build connections between mentors and students, and inspire them into science and technological jobs.

another aspect of FIRST is to get students INVOLVED IN ALL ASPECTS OF THE TEAM. including finance building strategy etc…

if the students arent involved they dont get as much out of it.

THAT is the point.

I think one of the results of having such a competition with so many teams is that you will get loads of different approaches to the task.

Engineers are allowed on the teams and each team will have a slightly different idea of what they are for. Each team will also have a different idea of what they want to get out of the competition.

If a team decides that they want all their students to learn good design techniques then in theory there should be no problem with engineers building it, providing that they are working to the students designs and the students have learnt something. This isnt what our team did, but perhaps there is a team who did, and thats all good. We should be celebrating the diversity of the teams, thats part of what FIRST’s about.

Its right that “you get out what you put in” although this doesnt have to be limited to the construction end of the project. On our team last year, those doing the animation and chairman’s award had just as much fun as those who physically built the robot.

Big Mike’s right, this topic will keep reappearing, especially as the games get harder and the robots more complex. However i think everyone would do well just to concentrate on what their team’s goals are and not worrying about anyone else.

i think the engineers are mentors and the students and the mentors should work together like a TEAM goodness people get your crap together.

The point of FIRST:

To teach high school students about real life.

I highly doubt any robot was built entirely by engineers.
What would be the point of being on the team? It would be the engineers’ team.
So yall calm down, rcubes is new. And this topic has probably been discussed from nearly every angle. So lets allow this thread to die by not posting anymore on it.