What is your Autonomous going to look like?

Hey everyone we are wanting to talk autonomous. What are you planning on setting your robot up to do. I’m not looking for the code. What we are looking for is trying to make sure we don’t have 3 robots crash into each other between the starting points and the switch. So center we are guessing is going to be the easiest. Just drive forward at an angle to get to the side of the switch you are assigned. From the outside edge are you looking at going around the back of the switch? Anyone planning on heading to the Scale? We would like to hear from everyone so we can try to all get where we are going without a collision.

Number one auto goes fwd just over the line and stops. A second starts in the center and does either side of the switch. A third starts on the left side and does either side of the scale. A fourth starts on the right side and does either side of the scale. In theory 3 robots doing #1, #2 and either #3 or #4 do not hit each other.

Then it really starts getting tricky! How best to have 2 robots do the scale? Or have 2 robots do the switch? And on and on …

For the Switch what if the side robot came from that side of the Switch, leaving the face towards the the Alliance wall free for the center bot

First 6 autonomous modes:

1. Do nothing
  2. Drive forward to cross the line and stop
  3. Start in the center area of the wall (probably to the side of the exchange zone) and score in the correct side of the switch
  4. Start on the right side, either score in the right scale, or cross behind the switch and score in the side of the left scale facing the driver’s station
  5. Start on the left side, either score in the left scale, or cross behind the switch and score in the side of the right scale facing the driver’s station

Mode 0-2 are non negotiable.

Use sensors to collect information about the surrounding environment*, then discard that information and drive into walls.

I figure if it’s good enough for 254, it’s good enough for us.

*Optional step.

start on either one of the sides, drive to the mid zone, determine left or right target for scale and move a bit or a lot depending on the RNG to score cube in scale, after which robot will turn around and pickup another cube and place in appropriate switch half.

We are not planning to have an auto for the middle position.

There is a chance that we may run into another robot if they drive too far forward when we are attempting to score on opposite end of scale than where we started.

This may seem like a lot and challenging(which it is!) but during stronghold we were able to cross 4 different obstacles(regardless of position) and score a ball in high goal over 90% of time and last year we had over 80% scoring side gear auto as well so we feel confident we will have a very good auto once again and that is our goal to shoot for.

A bench grinder.

I am DEEPLY disappointed that there is no plan to spin in place. Any good auto mode spins in place.

I’m working on it, I just need more time to perfect it…give it time. Spinning in place takes a while to create.

Here is a non-collision autonomous strategy we are thinking of, assuming there are 2 robots in the alliance capable of claiming switch/scale:

Switch & Scale plate assignments: LL, RR, LR, RL
Robots: Robot_L, Robot_C, Robot_R (Left, Center, and Right)

Robot_C always goes past the line and stops

if (LL):
Robot_L goes straight to the switch and claims it.
Robot_R goes past the switch, turns 90degree CCW, goes to the scale and claims it.

if (RR):
Robot_L goes past the switch, turns 90degree CW, goes to the scale and claims it.
Robot_R goes straight to the switch and claims it.

if (LR):
Robot_L goes straight to the switch and claims it.
Robot_R goes straight to the scale and claims it.

if (RL):
Robot_L goes straight to the scale and claims it.
Robot_R goes straight to the switch and claims it.