What is your favorite train?

What is your favorite train? (or other interesting transportation device)
Mine is the garratt steam locomotive, designed have two articulating sets of wheels with the boiler in the middle so it could handle tight turns.
garrattsteam

220px-Thomas_Tank_Engine_1

36 Likes

COLE TRAIN

4 Likes

It’s a shame the DDA40X wasnt more common, It is the single most powerful diesel locomotive to hit American rails (GTEL’s beat them, but theyre gas turbine.)

4 Likes

PM 1225. It has a cool story on how it was saved. You can stand right next to it when it leaves the station, blowing steam and soot all over you. Really cool.

4 Likes

No wheels in the propulsion system, but it does have landing gear. Top speed 314 miles per hour, about 100 x pi. Coincidence?

7 Likes

sXpo9Mm

21 Likes

Always been a fan of the TGV. Watching the videos filmed from the bridges over the rails durings its record speed run when I was younger was just incredible.

6 Likes

That’s an easy one… or not.

https://www.up.com/heritage/steam/4014/

Imgur

You don’t argue with the heavy haulers. And yes, these are two different models of 4-8-8-4 “Big Boy” engine.

11 Likes

Does the 1678 Hype Train count? I can’t find the photo anywhere :frowning:

14 Likes

That one is amazing, I’ve seen it at the Sacramento Railway museum. It’s also unique because it’s one of two surviving cab-forward locomotives in the world.
The southern pacific found that the crews of big boy locomotives would get inundated with smoke in the long tunnels and snow-sheds of donner pass.
Thus they commissioned the “cab forwards,” which had the controls aligned to make driving with the cab pointing forward, so the crews would be (mostly) protected from the smoke of the locomotives in tunnels.

3 Likes

M2 2018 era metro trains, 4-wagon continuously articulated, GoA2 automation, sparkling clean, normally run in 2-trainset (8-wagon) consists, electric, spacious, and they get me around the city really well. - Actually I Think the trains are capable of GoA4 (full) automation, but the line isn’t yet ready for it.

A close second for me is the Marmaray 5 and 10-wagon continuously articulated trainsets. You can walk for 10 cars without so much as a door in your way on the longer trains, watching down the hall as the trains take corners is so much fun, or change elevation even. ahhhhh. Istanbul’s trains are awesome. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I actually need to add two more. The most-robbed train in the world (on average, there’s a robbery every 15-20 minutes).

The Calico Railroad at Knotts Berry Farm.

Which also runs one of THESE…

2 Likes

Here’s a picture of most of one of the 10-car continuously articulated Marmaray trains. They’re wicked cool, and also wicked full usually (this is the end of the line).

I forgot something cool about these guys - they operate on a 3-track line shared with YHT (Turkish high speed rail), and due to this, there are two signaling systems controlling the one line - to my knowledge this is a unique situation, and thus far after 1.5 years of service has not encountered any problems :slight_smile: They also cross from Asia to Europe via an immersed tube tunnel 200’ below the seafloor Marmaray Tunnel - Wikipedia

2 Likes

Because I haven’t seen any of the classic streamliners yet:

13 Likes

34 Likes

Wow those trains are beautiful - once this pandemic is over hopefully I’ll be able to find an excuse to head over to Istanbul and ride one of them.

1 Like

Head over to La Grange, Kentucky, and watch live trains all the time, running in the middle of the street. Hundred-plus cars thru five blocks of the city.

Virtual Railfan has a bunch of webcams for other locations.

1 Like

The Pennsylvania RR GG1. They started running on the New Haven line when I was a kid.

9 Likes

6 Likes