What is your most prefered programming language?

What is your most prefered programming language? Give reasons.

Other: PHP :slight_smile:

Mainly because I use it every day at work, and here, and for other personal sites.

For actual programs, though, I’d have to go with C++.

Come on … we need more options than that! Off the top of my head I’ll add:
Haskell
LISP
Perl
Python
Parrot
Ruby
Scheme
Standard-ML
SMALLTALK

Of which I’d say Perl is what I use more often, but I really like Haskell (Scheme started me on functional programming). SMALLTALK is interesting too, right now I’m using SQUEAK (a deravitive of SMALLTALK) for a project, and it is really promising (though its a big headache most of the time!). Ruby also looks neat, but I’ve never programmed in it.

Now, to answer your real question :slight_smile:

Favorite imperative language: Perl
Favorite functional language: Haskell
Favorite object-oriented language: Smalltalk

And if I had to pick one, I’d go with Perl.

Stephen, JAPH :wink:

i chose c++, but i like php, cause its pretty much the same with out includes and declaring variables. plus php has database support :wink:

C++, because it’s what I’ve been raised with, and it’s pretty fun, but recently I’ve been using Perl a lot. I’m surprised Perl isn’t on there, considering it’s got its own cult following. And remember, HTML is not a language.

-Eric

Trick question! I really don’t know which language is my favorite, favorite. I really like PHP–so easy to work with. However, I could say that PHP came easy because of my background in C++. I really don’t know… PHP, C++, Java, Perl, which ever works best for what I am doing.

Come on guys, what about PASCAL;

Yes go programming class!!

Definitely need more options.

For the stuff I normally do, I like C++ (often just C). However, my favorite language is definitely Scheme in terms of the best “wow, that’s really cool” factor. Other languages I use:

Java
Javascript (occasional)
Applesoft Basic
Assembly (if you can call it a “language”)

My favorite language is whatever is going to let me solve the problem in the least amount of time with the least amount of hassle. As a professional developer, nearly every time thats going to be a microsoft solution. I don’t know of any tools out there that can match Visual Studio in terms of flexibility and reduced time to market.

A problem I see with a lot of people is confusing knowing the syntax of a language with knowing a language. Using C++ to parse a text file is pointless when you can write a shell script. Start looking at the language features and figure out why you’re using something. Why are you really using C++, when maybe VB will provide a better interface in a fraction of the time?

I see a lot of people learning C++ on this board, which is great. The language is a lot more than just knowing where to put the curley braces. If you want to be stand out, grab a book on UML. Just my $0.02.

My “Other” is Delphi. It’s object oriented; based on Object Pascal. I find it much easier to use than VC++ for “rapid application development”.

Having worked with it since v2.0 Standard, I’m somewhat partial to VB…the new .NET release has a lot of nice features that I’m using to write an app that a lot of you here might like…but to keep this from getting too off topic, I’ll leave it at that…

I definitely agree with using the right programming language for the job. Namely, at work I convinced them to switch from using PHP to C++ for a project (it was rather silly to be doing it in PHP; it was not for a web page). For most “fun” projects, I tend to use C/C++. I have to say that I’m a bit partial to assembly language however. Not that it gets things done quickly.

Matt

I definitely agree that the language should be selected to suit the job at hand. Having said that, I prefer:

C for embedded projects (small, fast, powerful)
VB front-end for GUI’s (quick development), with C++ dll’s doing the grunt work.

*Originally posted by Nate Smith *
**Having worked with it since v2.0 Standard, I’m somewhat partial to VB…the new .NET release has a lot of nice features that I’m using to write an app that a lot of you here might like…but to keep this from getting too off topic, I’ll leave it at that… **

.NET’s CLR (Common Language Runtime) scares me.:eek: It’s been touted as a “use any language, get the same results” type of solution. To me, that means a one-size fits all approach, which usually means making all of the compiled code bigger and slower. Other than that, .NET does have a lot of great new features.

My 2 cents.

*Originally posted by srawls *
**Come on … we need more options than that! Off the top of my head I’ll add:
Haskell
LISP
Perl
Python
Parrot
Ruby
Scheme
Standard-ML
SMALLTALK

Stephen, JAPH :wink: **

Well, I don’t know that many programs you know? I mostly know of the more common programs.

Out of the two I know, Java and BASIC, I would go with Java just cuz I can actually use it.

*Originally posted by Hailfire *
**Well, I don’t know that many programs you know? I mostly know of the more common programs. **

Oh, I don’t know all the programming languages I listed, I just know about them, and figured others might have used them before. (except Parrot, I threw that in there for fun :slight_smile: … see this if you’re interested).

I took a class last year on Scheme, and that started me on functional programming. Once we started writing parsers and compilers, I started getting interested in language development, and I think it’s interesting to know different languages besides “C++, Java, VB.”

Stephen

I have done alot of system level stuff under sys 7 on a Mac in Pascal and I have a soft spot for Pascal probably because of that.

If I had to pick though I would have to go with C++ but it does depend on what I am trying to accomplish.

Greg Ross from 330 reminded me about Delphi Object Pascal. I forgot about that. That had promise but I never got around to using it and now I don’t get paid for that any more

While some folks are religious about their languages, I’m not. Programming languages are tools to accomplish the task at hand.

But, I’m not without prejudice. First of all, I don’t like languages that are hard to read, especially those with tons of syntactic (syntoxic) garbage. Secondly, I pride myself on portable code so that it will compile and run most anywhere.

On Unix or Linux, it’s usually C or C++. For scripting, I mostly use Perl and some sh (bash).

On Windows, the choices are Visual Basic or Visual C++ (not quite the same as portable standard C++).

For websites, I usually go with PHP or Perl plus Javascript.

For embedded or robotics programming, it’ll be C with some assembly.

I would like to do more Java all around for portable applications on any platform.

I’ve done Forth and Pascal and other obscure or dead languages, but I don’t waste my time with them.

C++, because I am a mindless conformist. Hey!

Is it wrong to like VB .Net also?

*Originally posted by Lindy *
**Is it wrong to like VB .Net also? **

Not at all…it’s my current language of choice…