What is your robot-building superpower?

Here’s a fun one: what spooky supernatural ability do you (or someone you know) have that helps you design/build/program/operate robots?

Mine is that I nearly always grab exactly the right number of fasteners from the bin for whatever I’m building. Pretty handy.

@Greg_Needel is known as “the human milling machine” because he can always drill a hole in the right spot by eye.

If anyone’s superpower is that they can always find the 3/8in nut driver then I think you win.

6 Likes

We were building some gearbox, spacer I had was wrong. I was about to start 3D printing something so I could get exactly what I wanted.

@Travis_Covington goes over to the lathe and eye-ball hits (no zeroing, touching off, etc) 0.351" or something random like that, hit it exact to the thou. His “Eye Calipers” are preeeety good.

15 Likes

I can micromanage just enough behind the glass and get my drive team to follow effectively.

I discovered this when my driver this year asked me during the semifinals of Electric City whether the tarmac was a protected zone. :man_facepalming:

6 Likes

Total robot weight. We have never had a panic moment where we had to make significant reduction and yet we still tend to build to the weight limit. I don’t recall ever being more that 0.5 lbs over or 5 lbs under the limit on first weigh in at the shop.

David

1 Like

Always know what size threads are in the hole. Every time. Can usually tell if it was done by hand/cnc/lathe/whatever. If anyone memorized the tap drill size charts and wants a trusty sidekick, let me know!

To learn this power, hand-tap every thread on your teams robots for several years. Make some mistakes. Fix them. Now you can’t go to a coffee shop/waiting room/amusement park without noticing every threaded hole. This might be more of a curse.

8 Likes

Marcus, and mediocre meme, circa 2015. Normally I’d ask permission to share something like this, but it’s already public on the internet – sorry, Marcus, I don’t make the rules.

8 Likes

Jared’s superpower might be finding dirt on me. This is just the tip of the meme iceberg.

To anyone I’ve upset over the years, his dms are always open!

2 Likes

I can, with near 100% accuracy, by sight, tell the difference between 32 and 24 thread bolts… as long as its 10-32 and 1/4-24 (rare but out there).

In the 2013-14 time frame, we had a few students with mad skills at shearing screws. Even with a screwdriver.

I’m really good at stealing others ideas.

3 Likes

I’m really good at breaking stuff you would never expect to break.
Also a master of designing in electronics as hardstops… So far, RoboRio and battery for climber arm and manipulator, respectively

1 Like

My superpower is getting it wrong first try.

And I guess I win?

2 Likes

You people have superpowers?

3 Likes

You do too, yours appears to be spending far too much time on CD :slight_smile:

2 Likes