What Machines does your team uses

Hello ChiefDelphi!
I was wandering what kind of machines different teams have access to, Since i couldn’t find a poll i thought i might as well make one :smiley:

What Machines does your team have in The team’s workshop (and have access to during the build season)

• 3D Printer
    • Manual Lathe
    • CNC Lathe
    • Manual Mill
    • CNC Mill
    • CNC Router
    • Water Jet
    • Plasma Cutter
    • Press Brake
    • Powder Coating (Not a machine but still)

0 voters

What Machines does your team have access to through sponsors or other sources during the build season (Outside the team’s workshop)?

• 3D Printer
  • Manual Lathe
  • CNC Lathe
  • Manual Mill
  • CNC Mill
  • CNC Router
  • Water Jet
  • Plasma Cutter
  • Press Brake
  • Powder Coating (Not a machine but still)

0 voters

Make sure to comment any machine that you use and i forgot to include in the poll!
Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

You didn’t include anything for welding.

1 Like

You’re right! what kind of welding options would you like to see?

“Welder”

12 Likes

We have a CNC mill (so I marked that in the survey), however we’ve been using it less and less since we got the CNC routers.

4414 has a sheet metal laser in house and I know lots of teams who have laser cutting sponsors, might be good to add.

11 Likes

Teams also have access to smaller scale laser cutters. Probably makes sense to make the distinction between them.

3 Likes

Hmm. More people than I would have guessed with a press brake.

Some good options:
MIG welder (steel)
MIG welder (aluminum) [both these options because the setup requires different equipment]
TIG welder
Gas welder

You should also include a “none of the above” category if you’re really trying to gather data on what teams have. This poll leaves out the poorer teams who may well not have or have access to any of this equipment. There are plenty of teams (and not just rookies) who barely have anything that might be called a machine (maybe a drill press and a band or chop saw, but nothing else except hand tools.)

4 Likes

We have a manual mill and lathe, both don’t work

4 Likes

Our press brake is the DIY Harbor Freight pipe bender variety, which I assume doesn’t count. It is midly better than bending in a vise.

We have a wire-feed arc welder.

Cutting options might be interesting:
  • Vertical bandsaw
  • Horizontal bandsaw
  • Beverly Shear
  • Table saw
  • Hot metal saw
  • Scroll saw

Are what we have.

Other stuff:

• Floor drill press and table top one
  • Belt sander 6" with disc
  • Grinding wheel

That covers anything not on the above list.

There is no option for “None of the above”

8 Likes

You’re simply thinking inside the box

Freshman with a cordless drill and an endmill? There’s your manual mill
Freshman with a cordless drill and and a file? Manual lathe
Freshman with a steel-frame door? Press brake
Freshman with a hot glue gun? 3D printer
Freshman with a rattle-can and acetone? Powdercoating

20 Likes

Tell that one to my dad sometime… Double-dare ya.

We’ve got a sheet metal break and a shear, both manual, and a welder, in addition to the other machines I mentioned. Also a sander and a grinder. We’ve had a lathe in the past.

Plus a bunch of lower-budget tools like saws and drill presses and the like.

Ah, Freshman year. The glory days

9 Likes

As was actually thinking more about the “what do your sponsors have” question.

We’ve got a really great ice cream company sponsor, so if you can out-of-the-box that into a laser-cutter I’ll be seriously impressed! :wink:

2 Likes

Freshman working for minimum wage full-time under the counter at an icecream shop all summer? There’s your Omio.
Whole subteam of freshmen? Decent lasercutter and potentially fume extractor.

9 Likes

Anything is possible through the power of child student labor!

17 Likes

I’ve found this to be a pretty good upgrade for bending in a vise: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015U6VMLE

1 Like

We have the 4" Grizzly version of that, and it works well. But don’t for a second underestimate the size of vise and sturdy workbench you need to use it effectively.

2 Likes