What makes you interested?

HEY Everyone!!! :smiley:

Just wanted to know what makes you interested in FIRST. :confused:

Building a robot, of course. And a big one that could easily tear me into little pieces if the AI went out of control.

(fun sidenote: At our school, our weekly newspaper is entitled the “Prep News.” But there is an underground student run joke newspaper called the Insider . . . and the Insider ran an article in which our robot, then under the working name “Six Doller Burger” went on a rampage and killed us all, because a cell phone activated the “Destroy” “maim” and “kill mercilessly” commands in our AI. oops.)

Originally, I came in for the PR. But I was sucked into the entire robot building (esp. electrical). Then my second year, I (with the help of this forum) began meeting people on other teams. Most of my best friends are from FIRST. And as much as I like building the robots, the people and the whole FIRST atmosphere are what keep me coming back.

I think what makes me interested in FIRST is the chance to meet new people and do something beyond the regular school studies.

Good Luck To Everyone at the invatationals.

what MADE me interested in first was an older brother who was always coming home late while i was still in middleschool , and i used to think lucky bastard, always gets to show up whenever he wants

i keep coming back be cause i like learnding stuff… drrrr

The building, tie-dyeing shirts all day, wearing a huge tie-dye afro wig, the late nights in the hotels, the bus/plane rides, the pictures, THE BUTTONS!!!, and god I could go on all night…

The People

I think what makes everyone stay interested is the FUN that you have.

You know its that when you spend you’re math class figuring out how to get the biggest score and most QP’s.

Good Luck to everyone at their invitationals

Click Here To E-mail me

*Originally posted by GregTheGreat *
**
You know its that when you spend you’re math class figuring out how to get the biggest score and most QP’s.
**

I know I did that many times during build season. The scary part is most of it was actually relevant to what we were doing in math :yikes:. Thank god for Algebra 2 with all the parabolas and linear programming. Too bad I couldn’t convince my teacher to give me extra credit for it. Her response when I explained the role of algebra in Stack Attack: “See, it is useful in real life” :rolleyes:

I originally came in because my sister was on it, and she loved it. She convinced me to join, and I ended up joining the chairman’s group b/c of the people on it. I ended up having sooooooooo much fun b/c of it!! I ended up learining how to film videos (well), take good pictures, and in general, having a great time with a group of kids that I never would have thought that I would fit in with in a million years. Guess life surprises you sometimes, huh? :wink:

The Atmostphere…

Everything about FIRST keeps me involved

*Originally posted by SarahB *
**I know I did that many times during build season. The scary part is most of it was actually relevant to what we were doing in math :yikes:. Thank god for Algebra 2 with all the parabolas and linear programming. Too bad I couldn’t convince my teacher to give me extra credit for it. Her response when I explained the role of algebra in Stack Attack: “See, it is useful in real life” :rolleyes: **

Whats fuuny, is when we practiced, I knew more about the game scoring then the whole team (at least in my own opinion). What is interesting after watching all the matches, is that you see teams that don’t have any math class dreamers. LOL

Good Luck to everyone at invatationals

The people.

*Originally posted by GregTheGreat *
**Whats fuuny, is when we practiced, I knew more about the game scoring then the whole team (at least in my own opinion). What is interesting after watching all the matches, is that you see teams that don’t have any math class dreamers. LOL
**

And the worst part is they weren’t at much of a disadvantage. The problem with math class dreaming(or at least mine) is that it can’t predict how others will play the game. Its easy to imagine 22 stacks(I swear it could’ve happened!) and all four bots sitting nicely on the top, but in real life we hardly ever saw stacks bigger than 4. So my revelation that having all the boxes on your side can be good isn’t so important. Oh well, it was still fun :).

Learning, “expanding my horizons,” so to speak…spending all day every day for 6 weeks building a robot, the other people involved, falling in love with the people on your team, playing cards all night in the hotel room, the excitement of competitions, there’s so much stuff…it’s just plain fun…

*Originally posted by SarahB *
**And the worst part is they weren’t at much of a disadvantage. The problem with math class dreaming(or at least mine) is that it can’t predict how others will play the game. Its easy to imagine 22 stacks(I swear it could’ve happened!) and all four bots sitting nicely on the top, but in real life we hardly ever saw stacks bigger than 4. So my revelation that having all the boxes on your side can be good isn’t so important. Oh well, it was still fun :). **

See, I have got way to much time on my hands, I have more then 200 pages of drawings. I thought of every possibility. That was my little “pass time”, studying strategy. I also sometimes refer to myself as king of the stack. I can build an 8 stack perfectly every time. (Never got to do it at comp. tho) Although it would be cool if someone did. Maybe at the invitational.

*Originally posted by GregTheGreat *
**See, I have got way to much time on my hands, I have more then 200 pages of drawings. I thought of every possibility. That was my little “pass time”, studying strategy. I also sometimes refer to myself as king of the stack. I can build an 8 stack perfectly every time. (Never got to do it at comp. tho) Although it would be cool if someone did. Maybe at the invitational. **

I just did the systematic thing and checked each situation for the score when you have 23 boxes on your side and 22 on the other and 45 on yours and none on the other(the two points from the linear programming triangle of fun). At first I just tested it with the optimal stack(half the boxes, from the formula for the highest point of a parabola), but then someone pointed out that 22 stacks aren’t going to happen often(ever) so I tested it with any height stack.

I think it’d be awesome if we arranged for a nice 22 stack at one of the off season competitions. Maybe MOE could do it at Duel on the Delaware(when they’re partnered with us of course :D). A score of 656 would be so amazing… I’d cry from happiness :slight_smile:

*Originally posted by SarahB *
**I just did the systematic thing and checked each situation for the score when you have 23 boxes on your side and 22 on the other and 45 on yours and none on the other(the two points from the linear programming triangle of fun). At first I just tested it with the optimal stack(half the boxes, from the formula for the highest point of a parabola), but then someone pointed out that 22 stacks aren’t going to happen often(ever) so I tested it with any height stack.

I think it’d be awesome if we arranged for a nice 22 stack at one of the off season competitions. Maybe MOE could do it at Duel on the Delaware(when they’re partnered with us of course :D). A score of 656 would be so amazing… I’d cry from happiness :slight_smile: **

I would just like to see a stack, how many time (almost all) did you see no stacks at all at the end.

Anything over 10 would be nice.

Originally I didn’t want to do FIRST because it was time consuming( that lasted all of 2 weeks in our rookie year). After that the thrill of the competition made me come back in 2002, and the people that I meet assured me of coming back in 2003. Next year as a bio major* I’ll be looking for an engineering outlet so looks like FIRST in 2004… now to find a team in to UMD area… anyone need help?

*biology was my first love in the science field and i have chosen to pursue it in college

What makes me coming back is the imagination and creativity man. If you can come up with some crazy ideas then you belong in FIRST. The beauty is that you can actually accomplish those crazy ideas. No task seems to be too big. Whether you are building the robot, at a competition, or partying in the hotel room, your imagination can go wild. I usually make it a challenge for myself to find somethign crazy to do. Latest idea: FIRST tattoo.