What must be shipped with the robot? Compact RIO?

Hello,

I’m trying to find information on what exactly must be shipped with the robot.

We’d like to, if possible, keep the Compact RIO and use it with another test chassis for practice between the ship date and the competition.

Is this allowed? Where can I find more details? Thanks!

Greetings,
you may keep your control system, minibot and 30 lbs of fabricated spare/upgrade parts out of your crate/bag on ship date. You may continue to develop/refine you robot ideas with those parts. For more info, do a search for “withholding allowance” in the rules.

PS: I am not the rule book so don’t take what I say as fact…

<R33> Teams may bring a maximum of 30 pounds of custom FABRICATED ITEMS (SPARE PARTS, REPLACEMENT PARTS, and UPGRADE PARTS, plus all WITHHOLDING ALLOWANCE items) to each competition event to be used to repair and/or upgrade their ROBOT at the competition site. All other FABRICATED ITEMS to be used on the ROBOT during the competition shall arrive at the competition venue packed in the shipping crate or lockout bag with the ROBOT.
There are three exceptions to this rule:
A. the OPERATOR CONSOLE is not included in the incoming parts weight restriction,
B. the MINIBOT is not included in the incoming parts weights restriction, and
C. any competition legal12V batteries and their associated half of the Anderson cable quick connect/disconnect pair (including no more than 12” of cable per leg, the associated cable lugs, connecting bolts, and insulating electrical tape) are not included in the incoming parts weight restriction.

You can withhold whatever you want, as long as it is less than 30lbs total (not counting the exception items)

So it seems like withholding the Compact RIO should be no problem.

What about four jaguar controllers and mechanum wheels? I’m having trouble figuring out how those fit the variuos descriptions.

If we have to buy more it’s not a big deal but saving money is always good.

yep, those are fine as long as your total doesn’t exceed 30 pounds.

Is the minibot included in the 30 pounds?

no.

Please read <R33-B> again.

I guess I’m getting tired, that was clearly stated, my apologies =P

<R33> Teams may bring a maximum of 30 pounds of custom FABRICATED ITEMS (SPARE PARTS, REPLACEMENT PARTS, and UPGRADE PARTS, plus all WITHHOLDING ALLOWANCE items) to each competition event to be used to repair and/or upgrade their ROBOT at the competition site. All other FABRICATED ITEMS to be used on the ROBOT during the competition shall arrive at the competition venue packed in the shipping crate or lockout bag with the ROBOT.
There are three exceptions to this rule:
A. the OPERATOR CONSOLE is not included in the incoming parts weight restriction,
B. the MINIBOT is not included in the incoming parts weights restriction, and
C. any competition legal12V batteries and their associated half of the Anderson cable quick connect/disconnect pair (including no more than 12” of cable per leg, the associated cable lugs, connecting bolts, and insulating electrical tape) are not included in the incoming parts weight restriction.

::rtm:: Where in here does it say that you can keep the cRIO out of the bag?

He said you could keep the control system…is he wrong?

The control system is not excluded from the 30 lbs. However, there are no limits on what can be in the 30 lbs.

Right, that was my understanding.

Right now current plan is to keep back 4 mecanum wheels, CRIO, the minibot deployment system (probably around 10-15lbs) and then two jaguars if it’ll fit in 30 pounds. That way we don’t have to buy too much stuff for our test chasis.

that should be under 30 pounds, but weight it just be be sure…

Jaguars are COTS items. You can bring as many as you like (or can afford). Other teams might appreciate borrowing one, should the spare parts desk run out!

The cRIO is a COTS item as well (unless loading custom software changes the cRIO to a FABRICATED item). [Sorry Eric, I’m too lazy to check Q&A! :wink: ]

If your bring your cRIO, Jaguars. Victors, PDBs, etc. to competition as a partially-assembled control system, it is now a FABRICATED item and is subject to the 30 lb limitation.

The “blue box” under <R24> specifically states FIRST wishes to afford teams the opportunity to continue control system development. You should plan exactly what to ship and what to retain. You need to remain within the constraints <R33> without having to spend too much time reassembling at the event.