What questions to include on a scouting sheet

What weird or wonderful metrics has your team come up with to quantify how well teams are doing.

For pit scouting, we ask where a team starts in autonomous, whether they have an autonomous, where they shoot from in teleop, weight, height, end game ability (2013), and whether they play defense.

In match scouting, we note for autonomous, whether a team has one, if they move, and how many points were scored. For teleop, we note scoring position, number of missed shots, number of scored frisbees, in which goal the frisbees were scored, whether they hang/fail and which bar they hang on.

All of this came from our scouting sheets last year. We tend to wait until the week one regionals before deciding what goes on the sheet.

Things we will be looking for during match scouting

Auto:
high goal: hot or not and how many
low goal: hot or not and how many
mobility: yes or no
goalie: yes or no
blocked shots: how many

Teleop
high goal: how many
low goal:: how many
attempted passes: how many
accepted passes: how many
truss shot: how many
catch: how many
played goalie: yes or no
block shots: how many

that’s just our quantifiable scouting we will also have a small select team of qualitative scouting to give more objective info about robots; as robots this year won’t do everything each match and probably won’t do the same thing each match until elims…

What do you mean by blocked shots in auto? You mean if the robot prevents its partners from scoring? If not, remember G15 for your own autonomous strategy.

In auto mode you can start in your goalie zone and attempt to block your opponents shots.

Our team spent more time talking about this than I would have like; however we came to the conclusion that most conventional questions are pointless. It is very easy to talk to people in the pits and tell them how good your robot is but its totally different to prove it on the field. So, this season we are not going to spend a lot of time in the pits but have six scouter in the stands and watching every bot out there to see how they perform, for the simple fact that words only mean so much. Frankly wheels do not matter, frame doesn’t matter, drive does not matter, but how a team uses these thing is the most important. A team could have the worst set up but still be an amazing robot. As for pit questions the only reason that we say to ask about others bots (other than interest) is to see how well it is put together and how it could fail and/or to see if they could get called for anything in the match like popping a ball. Hope someone find this useful and if you would like I will upload a copy of our scouting sheet.

AMEN!
My team seems to think that walking around in the pits and asking ridiculous questions is scouting…I believe this is because they find it more fun than doing the necessary real work in the stands. I do think that some “public relations” is necessary, but data is obtained by watching matches and seeing what robots can do. Taking that data to conversations with other teams is analysis and shows alliance leadership.

Is anybody planning on taking any sort of defense into account.

Such as
-shots blocked
-other team’s time wasted

It will be a factor but i think blocking is going to be a very important part to scoring robots, because your bot will not always need or have a ball so instead of just sitting there it will be important to block or waste time will not wasting your own.:smiley:

If a robot can pass and catch, as well as their passing accuracy/distance will be the biggest thing my team will look for this year and be asking in the pits.