What rpm should I use on my revolving hopper design?

What is the ideal rpm for a revolving hopper and what motor and gearbox combo can I use to achieve it?

To find the ideal rpm, you will need to experiment ;however, you can figure out the maximum rpm that can be safely used mathematically.

I am a mathematician, but I will side with the engineers in this case- it is more pratical to experiment. Start low, then go higher so you don’t accidentally have the robot tear itself to shreds. Experimentation is also the heart of science, math just came along for the ride :slight_smile:

This is a bit overkill, which is why I am only giving the gist.

I will also be using the algebraic counterparts.

If you know that maximum force the gears and other compoments can withstatnd. F=ma
Torque = Force * radius * cos(angle) [Component of the force perpendicular to the radius]

And using the motor’s force given from voltage, then you can figure out the maximum voltage that should ever be given. Then your programmer can limit the voltage by using the direct API calls. (Be careful with raw input calls to the motor. Can be no bueno.)

1 Like

You’d want to start at your planned shooting speed/how many balls per second you can shoot without issue, and make sure your hopper can serve balls to the shooter at that speed or slightly higher lest it become a bottleneck. You’ll probably want to be controlling that speed pretty consistently if the hopper feeds directly into the shooter without an “uptake” or other regulating system, and it might even mess with the PID on the shooter if the time between balls varies too much.

2 Likes