What small changes can make FRC 1% better?

Does another identifier really improve anything? The captain band/hat is semi-mechanical - it provides field staff a fast way to identify the alliance point of contact behind the glass. I’m not convinced adding another disposable armband/hat/apron/etc makes teams bond more or improves the student experience at all past the singular extra student who gets an additional piece of fabric.

2 Likes

Danny Levenson has been the main photographer for FNC for many years. Full albums available here, but here’s an example from 2023 NC DCMP.

2 Likes

Within the last 5 years a ball was introduced as a game piece and i do not recall launching it to be the prevalent action successful robots committed to

7 Likes

19- Don’t shoot
20- Shoot
22- Shoot

If you are saying the last 5 games with a ball
17- Shoot (though most ignored)
16- Shoot

1 Like

Make it 10 years and I can think of a ball game piece that spending any amount of time on was a footgun for a lot of teams. Also, at least two “pick and place” elements that teams had success shooting.

2 Likes

OPR trys to estimate how good a team is at scoring points by gathering large sets of team combinations and their outcomes. It is essentially trying to approach an answer to the question “how many points does this team score on average” when a true answer can’t be found. If you knew which team scored what point, a true answer could be found.
Normally teams manually watch and record individual scores for select matches with teams they are paying attention to. But, if the video was standard and clear, a program could automatically find individual scores for ~any~ match just by processing the recording.

1 Like

Or we could put RFID in all the game pieces…*

There does seem to be a demand for tracking which robots score what. That may be a pretty intensive development cycle to get some sort of baseline. It may be easier to get the fouls individually entered as a start point. If we take “automatically track individual robot scoring” as the target, maybe someone can develop the plan?

*/s, if it wasn’t obvious.

3 Likes

Yeah, the underlying intent is to get teams the option to understand the item(s) they need to pick up and transport across the playing field. It’s all performed at your own risk to what the manual has in store for you. Maybe it’s like the hatch covers in 2019 where floor pickup would be a bad investment. Maybe it’s like 2016 where you spend time in November figuring out how you can grab it, and then in January you can spend time on developing a launcher you otherwise couldn’t spare the time for. Maybe you get the gear in 2017 and determine you have a hard time breaking the game piece before you break your robot, so you invest time and money in things other than spare game pieces. I think it’s worth trying once.

4 Likes

You’re forgetting 2023

13 Likes

Not a ball game.

1 Like

not schedule the FIRST Championship so close to AP season? I dunno

4 Likes

Not just an archive, but also add better integration between the video stream and FMS so that match videos are automatically uploaded minutes after they finish. Currently the time to get videos varies enormously and some are never posted. This would be a huge help for teams without a lot of scouts (maybe none!) because you can review matches you missed. Also nice to be able to post an interesting match to social media immediately.

2 Likes

One of the easiest switches here would be just to stream to YouTube instead of twitch. Having an automatic stream you can rewind and is archived is so much better than any of the Twitch VOD features.

Clipping is great but takes more work.

27 Likes

Absolutely agree. I was just at an off-season event over the weekend (Melbourne Robotics Tournament) and they used YouTube. It was great. I’ve already downloaded the whole thing and the thought of the manual work to cut the matches out of the stream is what prompted my comment!
I do think automating it cannot be too hard and the payback is huge as it benefits a lot of people. It could also be part of FIRST providing more ‘out of the box’ support for video steaming. As others suggested standard camera positions as part of the field would help. It is my impression that event organisers often have to reinvent the wheel to get video streaming working well.
(I’m pretty keen on this because in Australia this year was the first time we got match videos for our regional, and not having them in the past has scarred me).

Assuming the event had FMS sync you can use FRC Video Splitter to do it pretty quickly

2 Likes

Ik it was kind of mentioned before but require videos of the entire field to be posted for official events. Most of the videos of our first event are closeups of individual robots so it’s impossible to review the matches afterwards.

2 Likes

Wow thanks, that looks perfect! There are too many good FRC tools for me to know half of them. The matches were not synced during the comp, but they promised to sort it out. Hopefully they get to TBA soon.

1 Like

think it would be cool if people at comps could vote for a team for an award. like make a separate award where team members and mentors could vote for a team (not their own) for any reason at all (performance, gracious professionalism, etc). kind of like driver of the day in f1. it would be separate from all the current awards

2 Likes

I think it might be possible to implement this on a regional/ district level where the seperate organizations have the authority to do so

Put @Caleb_Sykes in charge of tweaking the matchmaker parameters.

1 Like