What small changes would make FRC 1% worse?

(Inspired by <a href=“ https://www.chiefdelphi.com/t/what-small-changes-can-make-frc-1-better/468213”>This post)

Recently people have been talking about some big changes that FIRST has made that many people see as negatives. What about the smaller details? What could make FRC just a little worse, without majorly changing anything?

Edit: I will fix the HTML later, I’m typing this out on mobile.

4 Likes

Run alliance selections 1-8, 1-8, (1-8).

Eliminate backup robots (pre-selected or assigned by rank)

The second one might not matter as much; it would depend on the event. The first one essentially makes the 1 seed… maybe not totally unbeatable, but much harder to beat as instead of 1, 2, 24, (25) they get 1, 2, 17, 25–and 17 is typically a bit better than 24 at lower levels of competition. By champs/IRI/Chezy Champs that advantage has worn off a bit, but at regional and district events it’s definitely there.

Oh, right, one other very minor change. Allow unlimited declines.

9 Likes

Replacing Good Stuff with Woodie with an additional appearance by Crowd-a-Tron.

29 Likes

Force people to buy more things exclusively through FIRST (like the whole situation with booking hotels).
This is probably not that small, because even if little things are forced, it can deteriorate quite quickly.

Edit: accidental quote

3 Likes

Going back to Best 2 out of 3 Bracket
And
Longer Dean Kamen speeches

13 Likes

A game with no robot interaction.
Some would say this is a big change. To you, please refer to 2015.

5 Likes

Easily my least favorite part of champs

4 Likes

Water game

4 Likes

Even “better”, run it 8->1, 1->8 with no picking other alliance captains. Theoretically it would be nearly evenly matched but in practice it would essentially be Champs advancement roulette.

7 Likes

Maybe bigger than 1%:

No longer being allowed to opt out of KoP in exchange for vouchers

Any form of alliance selection that does not result in the number 1 seeded team picking first

Banning brushless motors

Removing the silent observer from Impact, Dean’s List, and Referee interactions.

7 Likes

Pit Size changed from 10ft to 9ft 10.8in square

31 Likes

Here are a few:

Forcing teams to use only mecanum drive

Dropping weight limit to 85lbs

Removing live scores and just reporting it at the end of the match

6 Likes

Even better, try 1, 1, (1) to 8, 8, (8). (Alliance 1 is literally unbeatable).

As someone who has been on the number 1 seed in 9 of my last 12 regionals this is not a 1% worse for me. This is at least a 75% improvement

12 Likes

All team shirts must be purchased through the same vendors that made the new blue banners!

Take 2015 and not only can you not cross the half way field lines, but you are locked into a 1/3 zone in your alliances half and can’t pass noodles or totes. Would have killed Robowranglers design idea immediately. This is both good and bad.

My own bad idea

Require all teams to build a field element (perimeter and evergreen included) and bring it to the competition as part of that years challenge. Like game design, but your team is given a specific field element to make out of real materials and has to be used for the full event. This would be an effort by Program Delivery Partners to save on renting Semi Trucks to move field elements. At the end of the event each team takes their part home in their own trailer/cars. Can we really argue the quality of the build is the issue or is the fundamental design of the field and the choice of materials wrong? Yes team built would be worse, possibly forgotten, but it’s not a catastrophic difference to not be in the 1% category I think…

7 Likes

1% worse?
Formally ALLOW saving of seats at events. I mean people already do it, so the seat savers would just be emboldened.

14 Likes

Making the TalonFX separate from the motor like a SparkMAX.

4 Likes

Replacing all CAN inputs with the cheap JST connectors/ thin wires the REV controllers use for encoders/hall effect from the NEO motors

8 Likes

Assigned rows, but every match you either move up a row if you win or back a row if you lose.

19 Likes

Allow robot inspectors and referees to accept gratuities from competing teams, as long as they are paid after the event. 6 SCOTUS Justices can’t be wrong, eh?!

23 Likes