What time do you go to sleep?

Just wondering what time other FIRSTers get to bed.

Lets see how crazy we are with our sleep habits :slight_smile:

Most of the time, I doze around 11:00 PM or midnight. For FIRST events, however, I’m so worn out at the end of the day that it’s all I can do to eat dinner, check my email and CD, perhaps get through my RSS feeds, and call it a night. (Same goes on the volunteer side, too.)

Weekdays 11-11:30, then I wake up at 5:30.
Week ends, I don’t sleep and if I do, it is from 6am to 9am
FIRST events, about 3.

Work nights (formerly known as school nights) usually by nine, unless a project deadline calls. However, if I stay up later, I don’t start my next day until at least nine in the morning or later.

Weekends, I’ll stay up until 10 or 11. Depends on the occasion, I may go out with some friends, and by the time I get a bus/train home and to bed sleeping it could be midnight.

FIRST events - build season: usually in bed by midnight, no later than 1 am (now as an adult, much different as a student.) Competition: if I am with the team, my nights have ran as late as 3 am planning and strategizing.

I always try to time my bedtime so that I get between 7 and 8 hours of sleep, no matter what’s happening the next day. I’ve found out the hard way, several times, that I catch a cold really quickly if I don’t get enough sleep.

In an ideal world, I would go to bed at 11 to wake up at 7 for school or work the next day. I would get 8 hours of sleep and get all my homework done right after school. On the weekends I’d have everything easy and sleep in after going to bed maybe midnight…and at FIRST events there’d be no stress and no partying so I’d also get a good 8 hrs of sleep.

Hah! This is not an ideal world, you fiends! Sleep is for the WEAK!

So, consequently, I doze off anywhere from midnight to 3 AM or 4 AM on school nights (depending on homework).

Some weekends I go to bed 11 or 12, other weekends I have fun things to do and watch movies late into the evening and end up sleeping at 4 or 5 am, if not after sunrise. :slight_smile: Yay for no sleep. Don’t even get me started on FIRST events.

Weekdays, usually 9-11, currently a little closer to 9:30, but usually later. Saturdays always after 11. FIRST events… I don’t sleep. It’s not that I don’t want to but adrenalin is still going and I’m actively planning and thinking up new strategies or ways to improve the robot. I really wish I could sleep, ever try to drive after being up straight for three nights (don’t sleep on the night before either), or work in cramped spaces on the drivetrain, or figure out a puzzling error were PWM02 refuses to output a value that varies any when you move the joystick? (Never did figure that one out, we just changed the function to PWM03) Not fun, or easy. Heck, at one point I forgot gear ratios. (<-- quite embarrassing actually)

Both around 12:00. Sometimes I will stay up more for school if need be, but I try to get sleep. On weekends I will usually stay up loner, but thats usually due to watching movies or some activity along those lines. For FIRST I will stay up to work on the robot and for FLR due to RIT is 15 minutes at most away from me.

I voted for the times I “go” to bed, but they do not reflect what time I actually fall asleep… Unless I take a sleep aid (which I rarely, rarely do because I just don’t like them) it takes me at least an hour, sometimes more, to fall asleep. And it doesn’t matter how tired I am, I just can’t shut down. I can fall asleep at noisy meetings and competitions and in cars in seconds but not at home. I tend to wake up a lot during the night too, but luckily I can usually fall right back to sleep.

Heidi

I find that unless I have some sort of background noise, I find it very difficult to fall asleep. I have a ceiling fan in my room that I leave on High all year round because the noise it makes provides some constant noise for me to fall asleep too. For a while, I listened to quiet music while I was going to bed, but I haven’t been doing that so much lately. At competitions, I like to turn the AC way up both because I love when I wake up and it’s freezing except under my covers, and because it makes a blowing sound that helps me fall asleep.

Let’s hope my college roommate finds noise as conducive to sleep as I do.

I actually had a roomate in competitions who had the same situation, and though I tend to prefer silence I didn’t have much problem with it…so there’s always hope :stuck_out_tongue:

Then again, I tend to fall asleep about 2 seconds after my head hits the pillow. I just…kinda fall out of reality. It’s really quite nice.

well considering i had **my own room ** at nationals, I just left the TV and fell asleep to that…i do it quite often…

in my ideal world, i would get to bed at 10 every night and sleep until 6. However homework and various late night phone conversations cause me to stay up until 12:30-1ish every night. During april vacation it was much worse…I think I was up until between 4 and 5 every night :cool:

Weekdays: I wake up for school at 5:30 so I try to get 6 hours of sleep and be in bed by 11.
On weekends, I fall asleep whenever, and then sleep the majority of the next day.
During FIRST events, usually between 11 and 2.

weeknights: usually about 11 or whenever i finish my book
weekends: when i get tired/come off the sugar high
FIRST stuff: either im so tired i fall asleep the second i see a bed, or I’m up all night talking on IM/CD/phone/face to face to a team member about the event, and i end up with little sleep as a result.

I sleep whenever… whenever I get done with my stuff and/or get way too tired to carry on a conversation
During the season though I sleep everywhere, anytime… seriously, my mentors laughed at me because I’d just curl up behind the field [waiting for the opening ceremony to be over] and fall asleep

Ever since build season this year I’ve noticed that I’ve needed less and less sleep to function normally the next day. I can usually get by fine on six hours of sleep, and I usually never sleep more than eight hours at a time unless I have major source of sleep deprevation (read: FIRST competitions) going on.

So far, I went three and half month months straight (Kickoff until Championships) this year averaging only five hours of sleep each day. And during that time span I only became sick once, and that was with the common cold. (Most of the team at that point was getting the flu and/or pneumonia, while I got by with just the cold.)

Edit: And besides, what better time is there to browse CD than in the wee morning hours? :wink:

Join the Club. On weekdays and weekends it totally depends on how much work i have. No matter what time i go to bed, i have a bad habit of jumping out of my bed at 6:00 am.
and During FIRST events, don’t even get me started on that :rolleyes:

If you want to find something, sure, but its doubtful there’s going to be any new profound discussion at 4am unless its the middle of build season… :slight_smile:

For many years I worked a “5th shift” (back in the day when the Internet was new and they needed me to be online during the off-hours…) which meant being in bed by 8pm and up around 4am. It kind of stuck. I’m now heading to bed most nights around 9 and up at 5:30, or whenever the dogs wake me up. I am a very light sleeper, wake up frequently, and sometimes don’t fall back asleep for a long time. Some nights it’s just a sequence of naps.

Yeah… I remember that. Silly girl!

I can go to sleep whenever and wake up the next morning generally fine, but on school nights I force myself to be in bed by 10… other than that, I just can’t keep myself awake past 10. I kinda shut down…

Although I’ve done the go to sleep at 4 wake up at 6 three days in a row (that’s with school and all too!) I build up my sleep :slight_smile: