What to do on a 30h bus ride to houston

Team 854 (Martingrove) and 1088 (Hill Crest) are taking a bus to houston. It’s 30 hours one way, and 30 the other way, passing through Ontario, the boarder at Detriot/Sarnia and probobly through Toledo, Cincinnati, Nashville, Brimingham, Mobile, Baton Rouge and finally to Houston. If anyone has ANY ideas of passing time, PLZ let us know. Thus far we have the following suggestions:

1. Watch all three parts of The Godfather (9 hours total) seven times.
  2. Watch other movies such as Ferrius Buler (sp?), Dude Where’s my car?,…
  3. Form some kind of ‘sweatbus’ (sweatshop of wheels), assembling team buttons with vice grips and a 1 ton arbour press
  4. Weld a new robot cart in the back of the bus.
  5. Pass out.

Remember there’s also the 30 hour bus ride back home! (note the scarcasim)

Sounds like a plan, guys… That’s about what I’d do on a bus trip… but whatever you do, don’t sleep! Just kidding… you’ll need it.

1. Play “I Spy” for a few hours.
  2. Watch GodFather, Dune, and LOTR. That’s 17 hours right there.
  3. Sleep. Might as well make up for ahead of time what you’re gonna miss.

Sleep and listen to music.

Or count the starbucks, like my team did when we were in Canada :wink:

*Originally posted by Jnadke *
**LOTR. & Sleep. **

Doesnt the first one lead to the next one?

*Originally posted by D.J. Fluck *
**Doesnt the first one lead to the next one? **

NOOOOOOO!!! Not true!!!

well… our band just got back from a 26 hr bus ride to new york city…
we watched movies, taped up the bathroom, cut out pictures from magazines and made a 3’ x 3’ collage of hot, half-naked guys across the bathroom and back wall, played a lot of cards, mad libs, sang, ate, slept a lot, made fun of each other, took some incredibly strange pictures, and reminisced

it may seem like 30 hrs is a long time, and it is, but you’ll find ways to amuse yourselves, trust me… they may be strange, but you won’t be bored

our bus ride is only about 18 hrs… and i can’t wait (not for the bus ride, but for nationals) …and since the bus is the way to nationals, might as well make the most of it

well, our team is flying, but it’s gonna take all day b/c we have a 2hr wait inbetween. We plan on making buttons, buttons, and more buttons…lol, we havent even started yet.
Oh yeah, and u cant forget the harry potter uno cards…okay i fully understand and accept that i’m insane when it come to anything hp :smiley:
cant wait,
Hermione

*Originally posted by kristen *
**Or count the starbucks, like my team did when we were in Canada :wink: **

We have lots of Tim Hortons, but not that many Starbucks…Timmys is better anyway.

I would seriously suggest sleeping for like half of it…lol…make sure your discmen have good batteries, just listen to music an stare out the window…

And watch for planes flying over head, and then wave to Continental Airlines flight 2something as we fly over :wink:

yeah we have a 20 hour bus ride, we are gonna try and hook up an X box to the tv system so we can play games and watch DVDs our last bus we were able too but didnt so who knows maybe we get a tournament for halo or somthing.

For Buses:
Borrow your friends’ Cd player, then take it apart and give the parts back to him in a Ziploc. Enjoy.

Steal headrests from the people that are sleeping, and have a headrest fencing match up in the back. Careful! Don’t fall into that horrible place they call a bathroom…

For planes:
Take apart the phone thats installed in the back of seats. (Probably get five years in jail for that one.)

While you’re waiting for a plane, have a conversation in Russian with your fellow Russian about the lack of security and how easy it is to carry bombs into a plane. (hehe one of my friends actually did that, not the smartest thing to do…)

Program in the bathroom stall. That way you don’t have to get away from your computer. You’ve got everything you need in there.:smiley:

i’m going to bring my laptop with my divx collection (thats 40 movies right there) and plug it into the VCR/DVD player. As to the half naked guys, well our teams are prodominatly male so half naked girls sounds better. This weekend i’m gouing out and buying a 50 pack of double A batteries for the teams and thier CD players, i hope it last at least one way.

On our bus ride to Annapolis (not quite 30 hours, but a bus ride’s a bus ride’s a bus ride), my friend brought this nifty little transformer that changed the cigarette lighter up by the driver to a normal 120v outlet. I’d recommend bringing a laptop and powering it this way, but be warned of the current each device draws - with only two laptops plugged in, our transformer was getting dangerously hot.

You should also bring games on the laptop, something multiplayer is usually more fun - i.e. Worms World Party - because it just pisses people off when you get to play and they have to watch. Besides, it’s more fun to beat your friends than the computer.

And if all else fails, then yeah, you can go DivX… *glances at cd spool of burnt - er…

*Originally posted by MichalSkiba *
**This weekend i’m gouing out and buying a 50 pack of double A batteries for the teams and thier CD players, i hope it last at least one way. **

Batteries… LOL Go to BJ’s or COSTCO or Sam’s Club or some other wholesale store like that and get a 28 pack for like 10 bucks like I did!! Well worth it!!

*Originally posted by Harrison *
**We have lots of Tim Hortons, but not that many Starbucks…Timmys is better anyway.

Yea… I think we counted Tim Hortons at one point, too, lol

my suggestion is to bring a laptop with the Chrono Trigger Rom on it and try to beat the game. I’ve been working on it sporaticly for a month or so and I just have to beat the last two forms of Lavos and then I’ve beaten it.

*Originally posted by John JediMaster *
**my suggestion is to bring a laptop with the Chrono Trigger Rom on it and try to beat the game. I’ve been working on it sporaticly for a month or so and I just have to beat the last two forms of Lavos and then I’ve beaten it. **

Gotta love Chrono Trigger! Well If I had a laptop I’d do that… But I’ve already beaten it so many times lol. Well Our team went to Florida for UCF and that was 11 hours. Not anything compared to how long the ride to Houston would be if we could afford it but I found things to do. Playing Cards, Listening to your CD player, watching many movies.
A really good idea is to bring a Game Cube because they have a wireless controller that is really good. And most busses the VCR-DVD player is up at front so brining two to four controllers means a lot of multi player fun. I dont really like game cube but its better then nothing.
Also what many of the guys on my team liked to do is gawk at the hot girls in cars that passed by. You always knew it because one person would yell out ‘WOAH!’ and then 10 more would crowd around the window. Mean while I had my mind on some one else. :wink:
SLEEP for god sakes sleep! You’re really going to need the energy, Its Nats! :smiley:
Good luck teams and try not to have to much fun with out me. :wink: J.K have all the fun in the world and then some.

-Later

don’t you remember what kept you guys busy for hours on the kennedy trip last year??

"body art’ ring a bell?..hehe

some kids will do anything to pass the time :slight_smile:

*Originally posted by robomama *
**don’t you remember what kept you guys busy for hours on the kennedy trip last year??

"body art’ ring a bell?..hehe

some kids will do anything to pass the time :slight_smile: **

I think it was St. Louis (or Nats) but regardless. Those were some really fun times. :smiley: I wish I coulda gone with you guys this year lol. Oh well, you guys were so great last year I dont even mind at all. :slight_smile:

here’s an idea if you have a gameboy advance and a copy of advance wars:

Play a four player map with max funds on one of the big maps.

Those always take forever.