What to do, What to Do.......

Posted by Andrew Rudolph.

Student on team NASA KSC/Michael Krop Senior High School from Michael Krop Senior High School sponsored by NASA Kennedy Space Centre.

Posted on 5/9/2000 5:29 PM MST

What do some teams do to keep members of the club interested during the long break between the last competition and the unveiling next year? We need to keep students involved since our club might get scratched next year and we wanna stay. Any suggestions or help??

let us stay

Posted by Erin.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Student on team #1, The Juggernauts, from Oakland Technical Center-Northeast Campus and 3-Dimensional Services.

Posted on 5/10/2000 4:27 PM MST

In Reply to: What to do, What to Do… posted by Andrew Rudolph on 5/9/2000 5:29 PM MST:

the number 1 way to keep all students interested is use this time to get in good stuff for the chairman’s award. that, and definitly FUND RAISE.

-Erin

Posted by Matt Ryan.

Student on team #69, HYPER, from Quincy Public Schools and Gillette.

Posted on 5/10/2000 4:49 PM MST

In Reply to: What to do, What to Do… posted by Andrew Rudolph on 5/9/2000 5:29 PM MST:

A good suggestion is to try to enter in other tournaments (e.g. BattleCry@WPI, Rumble at the Rock, Mayhem on the Merrimack). Another good suggestion (or so I think) is to begin planning for next year.

I would like you clarify one thing: might the team be scratched because of the school (highly unlikely), the sponsor (unlikely), or popularity of the project (likely)???

-=Matt Ryan=-

Student on team NASA KSC/Michael Krop Senior High School from Michael Krop Senior High School sponsored by NASA Kennedy Space Centre.

Posted on 5/10/2000 4:56 PM MST

In Reply to: Re: What to do, What to Do… posted by Matt Ryan on 5/10/2000 4:49 PM MST:

well matt it is our teachers. they dont want us to use the schools facilities and down here in Miami there isnt that many places we can go.

Thanks for the help

Andrew

Posted by Matt Ryan.

Student on team #69, HYPER, from Quincy Public Schools and Gillette.

Posted on 5/12/2000 8:29 PM MST

In Reply to: Re: What to do, What to Do… posted by Andrew Rudolph on 5/10/2000 4:56 PM MST:

This is only an idea, but it may work. Show the teachers how it helps out the students in the program, and that the teachers are hurting your education by getting rid of the program. The teachers should reconsider when they see how good the program is and how good it is for the students.
Its just an idea.

-=Matt Ryan=-

Posted by Lora Knepper.

Student on team #69, HYPER (Helping Youth Pursue Engineering & Robotics), from Quincy Public Schools and The Gillette Company.

Posted on 5/10/2000 6:42 PM MST

Andrew,

Though I come from a team that basically dissapears after the National (save for a few post-season events), I understand what you are getting at. One of the best ways to inspire involvement is through any post-season events you may be able to attend. Try to get all current members of your team there, but also start recruiting NOW. If you get a few non-robotics students to go, you have made a great start.

I know that I wasn’t too sure about FIRST, where my time and energy was going, until well into my first year, and especially after that first regional. Once you get some students to a competition, I believe you can get some hooked into the FIRST way of life.

If you have trouble keeping current members, try getting an email list together and send out a newsletter every once in awhile. Giving links to sites such as the Chief Delphi Forums, and the Rambots Chat will allow them to talk to other FIRST members. I think we can all say that friendships on other teams adds a new dimension to the Competition.

How tight is your team? Are you friends while working on the bot, as well as those odd times you are not? Consider getting people together to do something non-FIRST related. The closer you are as friends, the more stable the base for a team. Go see a movie, or play frisbee in a nearby park. Just hang out, it can do wonders.

Another option, get a kit of Legos. They don’t have to be the fancy Mindstorms we all love, just whatever you have. Brainstorm the possibilities for next year’s game. Chances are you won’t come close to the real thing (FIRST continues to surprise us all!), but it keeps everyone’s mind on the competition at a smaller level.

Well, I think I’ve babbled long enough for one post :wink: but if you want to talk, IM me at Lora T69 or drop me an email. Good luck, we all expect to see you guys back next year!

Lora

Student on team #1, The Juggernauts, from Oakland Technical Center-Northeast Campus and 3-Dimensional Services.

Posted on 5/11/2000 2:17 PM MST

In Reply to: Rambling some ideas off posted by Lora Knepper on 5/10/2000 6:42 PM MST:

Lora-

I whole-heartedly agree with the ‘team-building’ ideas you have mentioned. I know that on my team, Sunday trips after regionals to Layfayette coney island and Weekend sleepovers / Quake lan parties are very popular on my team, as well as just getting together and acting silly (having inside jokes makes a friendship stronger). Team building does not have to begin at school or through the teachers, but rather has a very strong link to the homefront. The tighter your members are, the better everything will run (and it will run smoother as well)!

And let me tell you, watching 10 guys trying to network a bunch of laptops is THE FUNNIEST thing…

-Erin ‘the girl who doesn’t get to play Quake:*(’

Posted by Nate Smith.

Other on team #66, GM Powertrain/Willow Run HS, from Eastern Michigan University and GM Powertrain.

Posted on 5/12/2000 8:41 AM MST

In Reply to: Re: Rambling some ideas off posted by Erin on 5/11/2000 2:17 PM MST:

: And let me tell you, watching 10 guys trying to network a bunch of laptops is THE FUNNIEST thing…

Cringes Funny? I don’t know if I’d go that far…I wasn’t there for the incident that you’re referring to, but I’ve done a few ‘small’ networking jobs myself, and I wouldn’t exactly always call them fun…

See everybody at the WMRC tomorrow(or for setup today!)

Nate

Posted on 5/12/2000 9:12 AM MST

In Reply to: Random Comments posted by Nate Smith on 5/12/2000 8:41 AM MST:

Nate- small problem.

I promised my nephew that I would take him to the WMRC (he loves robots) and I have to pick him up tonight in Fenton which is more than an hour from where I live. And I don’t get to pick him up until 8:30. No one else can go to Grandville if I can’t go (they don’t have a ride or directions). I am sorry to bail out last minute but my nephew called begging to come (he even ditched going to a skate park for me). I am sorry and I wish I could help, you know I do. I will try to be there ASAP tomorrow.

-Erin

Posted by Nate Smith.

Other on team #66, GM Powertrain/Willow Run HS, from Eastern Michigan University and GM Powertrain.

Posted on 5/12/2000 10:32 AM MST

In Reply to: btw nate… posted by Erin on 5/12/2000 9:12 AM MST:

Don’t worry about it, Erin…we always have a decent crew to set things up already, and I’m sure we will be fine…after all, it just wouldn’t be the WMRC without the setup crew being there until 11:00 or later the night before, getting things ready =) I’ll see ya tomorrow(you know where i’ll be =)

Nate

Posted by Erik Justen.

Engineer on team #128, Cold Fusion, from Grandview Heights and The Ohio State University/American Electric Power.

Posted on 5/10/2000 9:01 PM MST

Well…

Our team does something very unique (as far as I know). We run a series of labs in the fall designed to teach the HS students basic engineering principles. Then we break them up into teams (along with an OSU student as a mentor) and have them build microcontrolled devices, based around the Basic Stamp II. This year we had a wide range of projects, from a change sorter to a people follower. The whole point was to introduce the students not only to engineering principles and practices (such as brainstorming and documentation), but to budgets and time lines as well. It is truly amazing how well this prepares students for the winter build period.

Clearly, this takes an awful lot of work from your engineering staff, especially to get things organized to the point where you can teach 4-5 quarters of electrical engineering in an hour and a half. We have a lot of this footwork done, but it’s not really where I’d like to see things yet. So… we plan on redoing our labs and restructuring things some, but I think we have something most teams could pick up and run with.

If you have any questions, please let me know: I’d be more than willing to talk to you about it (this includes both students and engineers/coaches/teachers/college students).

Erik

Posted on 5/11/2000 2:09 PM MST

In Reply to: Re: What to do, What to Do… posted by Erik Justen on 5/10/2000 9:01 PM MST:

Erik and Andrew-

These are things my team does as well (in the fall we run as an after-school for credit course ) and it helps team build. We not only do those things but also get into electronics and lectures and get our hands on some real world engineering with the CDI competition. However, I don’t think this is what Andrew needs to solve his teams’ problems. Andrew, I STRONGLY suggest fund-raising. My team and I will soon be publishing a good resource-reference for fundraising-info. In many areas near cities, there are sports stadiums that students and parents are allowed to volunteer at for money (kindof like a band-boosters). In Michigan, I know that only 18 and over can run registers and the kids can help out, but everyone from my high school received 30-40$ when we did this for our band at the Palace of Auburn Hills and Pine Knob music theatre. Many of the sports arenas and stadiums in the Miami area might also do this, so you might want to check it out.
Also, many small-town functions like fairs and carnivals need help, so you could check in to that. Also, organized soccer leagues are always looking for help being a ref or doing field cleanup, so you can contact your local kids’ soccer club and see if they are offering anything for this. And this one is a far stretch for most boys- but it is something moms love. You can contact a representative from Pampered Chef or Candle companies who have fund-raiser packets used to sell products (normally the company donates 30-40% of all profit made). This is something a little on the hard side, but most moms can handle it (and female teachers for that matter). But make sure that ALWAYS, if you are involved with a fundraiser, you have an adult who is wiling to donate some time to your worthy cause and make sure they are responsible enough to keep track of the money (having 2 or 3 parents who are there to keep check of each other is a good idea also). And if you can’t find the money you need, do as our ‘Presigeous Effort’ award winner has done- gather money from sponsors that range from the industrial business all the way to your local grocery store. Even if you can’t have engineers, look at that as a great big WONDERFUL opportunity to have all of the creative control to yourself! I hope I haven’t bored you too much… If you need any more help, please feel free to e-mail me at [email protected].

-Erin

Posted on 5/12/2000 7:01 PM MST

Thanx for all of your input. I hope to see all of u nexyt year

Andrew