What version of LabVIEW should we be using this year?

This probably going to sound like a really stupid question, but what version of LabVIEW are we supposed to be using this year?

I see the FRC 2022 Game Tools. I see the FRC 2022 LabVIEW install. But when I try to install it, the package manager says I’ve already got it installed.

Incidentally, I have professional copies of 2021 and 2020 labVIEW. This is all very confusing this year.

1 Like

FRC Labview is usually a year behind commercial Labview. So it’s probably Labview 2021 that we will use for the game.

Good question. It looks like FIRST stayed with an older LabVIEW version than nornal this year.

I already installed it. It is LabVIEW 2020 SP1 for FRC season 2022.

Make sure you’re following the directions here.

and THEN

I would recomend uninstalling all LabVIEW versions to start with (but maybe you have a tricky use case).

If you’re wondering why they’re using a 2 year old version of LabVIEW, they’re not. They’re only 1 version behind kind of. LabVIEW is normally released to professionals in April or May. Some FRC teams get to beta test the next year’s software (and hardware) in the off-season. LabVIEW 2021 was released in August. My guess is when the beta testing began, LabVIEW 2021 was not ready so they went with LabVIEW 2020 Service Pack 1.

You’re pretty close. Getting roboRIO2 tested on a known good system and out on time meant working with the 2020 SP1 stack. Rather than change a lot of things with limited time, 2020 SP1 was a safer choice to make sure the competitions went smoothly.

I’ll be surprised if next year doesn’t jump from 2020 SP1 up to whatever is released in August 2022.

But the rest of your answer is exactly correct for anyone else reading through this. LabVIEW 2020 SP1 is the basis.

Sorry for the confusion sthump!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.