What were some highlights of Week 1?

Week 1 has had some pretty crazy matches. What moment has been your favorite so far?

Mine was the triple Level 2 start in the Hatboro-Horsham quals.

11 Likes

IMHO, this is one of the most competive week one’s of recent memory in general while it is evedent that there are still issues to work out, overall scores and strategies were more advanced than I expected.

10 Likes

Sure is. Watching teams like 2910 was a joy.

9 Likes

2910 should definitely be the #1 ranked robot from week 1. Was faster than everyone else I saw and I watched almost every event.

18 Likes

Does anyone have footage of 118 doing a rocket themselves?

8 Likes

Did anybody see any teams place 2 game pieces in sandstorm?

Watching the first rocket I saw being filled this season by 330 was pretty awesome.

3 Likes

Totally biased opinion here, but I was blown away and super proud of 548 Robostangs (my team) in quarters 4-2 at Gibraltar. Their mid-game dynamic choices were very impressive based on how the match was unfolding.

After the 30 second sound we placed a rocket level 3 hatch. Went on to place 2 cargo in rocket level 3 as well. And still managed a HAB1 finish for the bonus.

Some great counter-defense going on as well.

4 Likes

Seeing a purely defensive bot who could climb to lvl 3 very consistently rank 3rd, and then proceed to power through the finals and eventually best the #1 alliance was the most surprising thing I think I’ve ever personally seen at a competition. This happened at the Hatboro Horsham district, and it was an absolute blast to watch.

13 Likes

Totally biased, but:

1293, who has had one qualification record above .500 in 15 years (Palmetto 2006), goes 7-2 and becomes the 7th alliance captain. I’m still buzzing from it.

17 Likes

Easily the best events this week.

P.S. No bias at all in this post

8 Likes

That’s great, congratulations!

Billfred,
1293 did an awesome job. Congrats.

I have a few favorite moments and highlights. Palmetto Q95 we completed a rocket with our sister team 6366 and missed the climb by about 3 seconds.

Second highlight was helping our alliance captain 4020, Cyber Tribe, and 5022, Rat Rod Robotics, both win their first regional.

David

Del Mar 2019: Blame it on the rain!

5 Likes

I really admire your objectivity. Those were my favorite events, too.

4 Likes

Triple level two start? How did that work and do you have a video?

3 Likes

Maybe not consistently as fast as 2910 but we have had moments.

2 Likes

Triple level two start? How did that work and do you have a video?

Looks like Q32 would have been the match in question according to the blue alliance (Quals 32 - FMA District Hatboro-Horsham Event 2019 - The Blue Alliance).

One of the blue robot was literally standing up on it’s back side, wedged between the wall and another robot. You can see the video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tseNw-4DCTE

6 Likes

During one of the matches at Mount Vernon 4309 and 2903, on opposing alliances, both got rampbot climbs. Im not sure which match offhand but it was crazy to watch.

All of elims, esp 2928vs5803 in semis, is a doozy.

5 Likes

I’m surprised that there’s only been 1 mention of OCR so far. It was the best event this week and it was amazing watching SF 1-1 and 1-2. Those were some of the closest matches with some amazing defense. Those 2 matches have made me appreciate deep space much more than I did before.

1 Like