What will teams average?

Is this the Lego video you were waiting for?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcE5aJ4q8i8

12 Likes

… And from my first hand experience building a tilting elevator in 2015, Good luck and have fun y’all.

1 Like

That sounds very double cycle-wise but at the same time it would require the team to be super well rounded and consistent. I think a team that can score a consistent 20-30 points per match (in weeks 1-3 at least) would be dominant.

Yeah, it took him two days longer this time to get it figured out. This is a serious challenge!

(I was at the robot meeting today when Steven texted the link to me)

2 Likes

Wouldnt a problem of this be the swinging? Possible to incur the “damage field” rule?

I wish that was true. Just drive up the wall

Also I don’t believe there is any prohibition going directly from the mid-rung to the traverse as long as you don’t violate robot rules.

What about rules of extension beyond frame perimeter?

What about them? They’re part of the robot rules, you can’t violate them. But they don’t appear to preclude you from going directly from the mid-rung to the traverse rung. It seems possible to get your robot chassis close enough to the mid-rung so that you can reach the traverse rung without violating robot rules.

2 Likes

It does until you get to “NO BUMPER above High rung”, good luck

Such negativity! :grinning: An important consideration but you can bring your bumpers up past the mid-rung without them going over the high rung.

1 Like

That seems not very GP. A 2-ball auto is very easy. If our alliance mates have them and have confidence in them, why wouldn’t we just run our rock solid 3-ball instead of our (obviously going to be some amount less reliable) 5-ball auto?

1 Like

Teams ask each other to do this kind of stuff every year. If you have a demonstrated solid two ball auto then you’ll prob keep doing that during playoffs.

If you’ve missed 80% of your auto shots but rock at the climb, it may be worth more points to stay out of the way if another has a solid 5 high goal auto.

Maybe the way I worded it does seem a bit harsh. An alliance will strategize for the most points during auto and that may mean a team crosses the tarmac and sits tight.

3 Likes

No doubt here… but I’m interested in a working robot design that can do this

1 Like

Citation needed.

If previous games are anything to go off of, I’m hoping that most teams are going to be leaving the tarmac during auto, but I’m not expecting it to be 100%. How many teams could shoot in either port in auto in 2020? How many could go get another game piece to shoot? Last time we had a normal auto in 2018, many teams at the regional level weren’t scoring in auto.

I’d love to be proven wrong, but I’m expecting a ton of teams to have somewhere between no auto and a 1-ball, and 2-balls maybe 30-40% of the time at the regional level (at least in the first 3 weeks).

5 Likes

So if you have a 90% 2 ball auto, and have a qual match with 254, and they ask you to only run your 1 ball so they can run their 90% 5 ball… are you telling them no?

If so you may have the largest pair of cargo on the forum.

13 Likes

I would say using past performance for autos predictions will (hopefully) lead to inaccurate conclusions.
Given that:

• Advanced autos are the most accessible they have ever been with WPILib
  • Teams had a year dedicated to running autonomous paths (albeit, not all teams did IR@H and even less did the auto challenges)
  • The wide range of positioning makes the very simple, shoot my balls, turn around for x distance, turn around again, and drive forward at full speed until I hit something a lot easier.

I think things will look a little up this year, hopefully.

However:

• With the pandemic, teams may have less time to test their autos
  • Many teams have high amounts of untrained new members due to two years of basically nothing
  • Autos are still hard.

We shall see.

2 Likes

With the pandemic, many teams have few students, mostly inexperienced, and will have enough of a challenge building a robot to play the teleop game…let alone meet the auto challenges.

Or maybe it’s just us?

9 Likes

My gut is that most teams during auto:

• That have goal scoring capability
    • Will be able to figure out how to drop/toss one ball by the end of the competition
  • That can drive
    • Will leave the tarmac by the end of the competition
  • If they are not already coming in with an auto routine
    • Will not score two rounds by the end of competition

Most of this is given the stressful high pace environment that is comps. Any major broken components will eat up any time not playing and take away from progressing auto routines.

Given the ease of the goal and starting placement compared to past years. I’m hopeful that more than 50% will score one auto goal this year.

I think looking at past years is a fair assessment to get a rough sense. Yes, advanced techniques are accessible, but there are a lot of teams that don’t get past a basic drive for time auto. I don’t think those advanced resources being available will help them out. I do think that teams that have a firmer grasp on making autonomous modes will benefit tremendously from them though. I fully expect autonomous modes to be weak for the average team in the first few weeks as always.

3 Likes