What would you do with 1 PB of drive space?

So you get a drive that’s 1 Petabyte (PB)* big. What would you do with it? :wink:

*Petabyte=1,000 TB=1,000,000 GB=1,000,000,000 MB (see http://www.rfcafe.com/references/mathematical/numerical_prefixes.htm for more)

i’d download the internet!

or maybe i’d probably partition it and give some to the homeless…

just to give an idea… 1 PB is:

800,000 days (over 2000 years) of 128kbit audio (MP3, AAC, WMA, doesn’t really matter)
72,000 days (almost 200 years) of uncompressed CD-grade audio
8,000 days (22 years) of uncompressed 96k/24bit 5-channel audio
40,000 days (110 years) of 1 GB/hour TiVo basic-grade MPEG2 video
10,000 days (27 years) of 4 GB/hour TiVo best-grade MPEG2 video
5,000 days (almost 14 years) of ATSC compressed HDTV
3500 days (almost 10 years) of video from a DV video camera (they don’t compress well)
200,000 DVD-R disks
50,000 double-sided, double-layer DVDs
1,000 hours (almost 6 straight weeks) of uncompressed HDTV video
7.3 million raw images from Canon 1Ds camera (15 MB each)

I’d hate to see one of those crash. Just imagine the amount of data you’d lose! :eek:

I wonder how long it takes to reformat that thing…

I’d probably do nothing but use the first few hundred gigs of hard drive space, I can fill harddrives fast but one petabyte? Nope, I don’t think there is even enough computer stuff in the world to fill that up.

In 2010, you will need that much space for the Visual C+++++ executable for "Hello World
"… :smiley:

Well thats easy… I would download everything.

Create a text file and start pressing 1 as fast as I can, until I have the largest fiLE EVER!!! MUAHAHA!!

Hey Jeff, ever heard of : www.holdthebutton.com ?

Hmmmmmmmmm… Well, I’d just slush all the games I could on my comp, make my computer 100x better, and…yeah, I’d be pwning!

Imagine defragging that.

Oh no, programming will be the death of me and my machine. :frowning:

There is definitely enough data in the world to fill that up. Ask Dave about the quantity of data NASA has.

Wetzel

I would sell the hard drives that make up the 1PB and just save a few hundred gigs for myself. I’d then take the money and buy the best computer parts available.

I would have it automatically archive CD for me so in case I get this error again,

There seems to have been a slight problem with the database.
Please try again by pressing the [refresh](javascript:window.location=window.location;) button in your browser.
An E-Mail has been dispatched to our Technical Staff, who you can also contact if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience.

I won’t be lost…
:rolleyes:

Here’s how I’d alot it:

A lot of DDR. Yah!
A lot of musics. Yum yum yum yum.
Loads and loads of pictures.
I’d make a matrix.
YAH!

and Elgin? Taht hold the button game is great! I beat 30.7 of users!

37.5%. Hah.

As for the storage space, I would most likely create a massive music library. By massive, I mean more music than an average person can listen to in his or her lifetime. Or something like that.

I would set the page file to that drive and open notepad 1000000000 trillian times.

Do
Shell(“notepad.exe”)
Loop

RAHAHAHA!

Massive server.

I’d be rich.

First you need the bandwith.