What? You cant see?

Here something im sure some teams have already noticed. Visablity is going to be a major problem if there are a whole bunch of tubes hanging on the wall in front of you. Here are my questions:

1. Will cameras play a more important role in this years game?
    -I beleive so, as they were not a major factor in participation last year during Breakaway

2.Will height (of the driver) affect visablity when behind the wall?
-I think so, because if you are too short, and there is a big circle ubertube in front of you, how are you spposed to drive? Get that person a stool?

Please, feel free to ask anymore questions, the bell is about to ring, so im cutting this short :slight_smile: I would like to know some opnions on this topic :slight_smile:

Thanks

Jake Team 1255

Also, any robot using a light source to identify the retroreflecting tape will be shining that light into the eyes of their alliance’s drivers.

A) Could tube placement affect strategy? Not being able to see could make scoring difficult, but what about changing strategy?

b) <G55>

My opinion?

It is more points to just score on the top instead of the middle row.
Simple answer: Don’t go for the middle row until the entire top row is full (and, score all ubertubes to the top row to maximize points)

I have a memory in 2008 of the Simbot drivers (1114) ducking, leaning, and otherwise striving to see what was happening on the field. Yet in 2008, there wasn’t anything hanging on the wall.

I will say though, that sensors will probably help independently of how useful they were ‘last year’ in this type of context. I doubt the GDC designs games with that type of thing in mind. Once in the safe zone, I think the camera would help regardless of whether or not the view was slightly obstructed.

Just be sure to stretch beforehand.

The problem with this statement is the assumption that every team has the build capability to consistently reach the top row. Similarly to 2007, I think the teams who can get to the top will be heavily defended when it matters (St. Louis) via unconventional methods (legal pinning, blocking, turning, etc). I also seem to remember Pink’s ringer being [presumably*] accidentally poked by a defending robot at some point such that it deflated onto Pink’s robot, keeping them from picking up other ringers.

*Video.

I know that we are using different equipment now but a few years back we used X-box controllers to drive and one of the nice features was the cord had a decent amount of reach to it. Oh there is a logo right in front of your drivers just move over into the middle station

exactly. <G55>. if you have a controller that can go with you, then you can move around

Clever, I hadn’t thought of that. Suddenly using those lights is a whole lot less attractive.

I haven’t been able to look closely, but could a team just hook the light to a relay and only turn the light on when they need it???

Actually controlling when the light is on sounds like good thinking. Also, it may not take a very bright light – no Q Beams, please.

Greg McKaskle

AH! But there was a huge obstacle in Overdrive! In 2008, there was a wall that divided the field into one large loop to complete laps. This wall was made up of clear polycarbonate panels. The panels created a reflection illusion that made things appear where they were not. As a coach that year, I remember this vividly. After some digging around CD, I found a picture that shows this obstacle. You can see the reflection of the red ball and robot in the wall that caused visibility issues. This is why you saw a lot of drivers that year ducking and leaning behind the drivers wall.