Whats the "Cutest" Mechanism of 2023?

Last year we had THE jumping bot, years prior we had the suction climb, so now that champs is over I wanna know:

What weird, subtle, strange, fun, out of the box mechanisms did you see or build this season? Maybe something no one but your team noticed but you finally wanna brag about, or a quick dirty but extremely effective fix? Extra points for pictures and CAD!

10 Likes

Maybe not a mechanism per say, but a quick fix nonetheless

This was from MSC when our radio mount was hit and shattered.

3 Likes

Honestly it was 9287 Bionic Bengals with their laundry basket design. At first it seems ridiculous but it honestly worked pretty well for them and I really enjoyed seeing how something so simple could work well.

23 Likes

As co-chair of the Oz-Ram Fan Club I want everyone to know about

Team 1922 Oz-Ram

This 20" wide tank robot picked up cubes on one side of their robot and shot them out the other side.

• Alliance captain at both their district events
  • Alliance captain at their district championship division
  • NEARLY 1 seed in their championship division:

I am beyond upset they were not selected for the elimination rounds. Shame on you, Daly teams. This little robot would have supercharged the heck out of your grids.

53 Likes

While we never successfully used it during a match, 4096 realized that we could pretty consistently throw cones after improving the control algorithms on our arm. We needed to adjust the our “cone yeet” auto to get the cones more consistently landing in the hybrid nodes, but we did have it going on the practice field at worlds.
cone_yeet

26 Likes

A robot like this is exactly what I hoped for when I made this thread. Consider me a new member of the club, I frickin LOVE tiny robots

2 Likes

I see your 1922 and raise you 1923.

14 Likes

Sure but everyone already knooooows about 1923

6 Likes

I loved our robot this year. Small and efficient.

We also intake on one side, and shoot out the other. We were about 85% on hitting the high cube platforms. And we didn’t fear the charge station. It feared us.

3 Likes

5419 Berkelium has the cutest lil’ cone shooter:

21 Likes

5414 stick that enables their 5 cube auton

33 Likes

No question. 9287’s Laundry Bot!

(sorry only have this cruddy pic)

16 Likes

Here’s a clearer image (VIA FRC Twitter).

32 Likes

I thought the full 360 turret we put on our bot (5907) was pretty darn cool. We won the quality award for it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

As a 1922 member, we managed to eat quite a few rivets off the charge station lol, most recently was at our district event which we didn’t find till worlds, but sadly no souvenirs from Houston

2 Likes

Bucket Bots are the best :smiley:

Source: FRC 5613

5 Likes

Definitely 5507. They were insanely fast at scoring and intaking with their basket and arm mechanism, along with their 4907-esque drivetrain that made aligning with the grid super fast. They totally deserved to go to worlds and it’s a shame they weren’t able to.

4 Likes

329’s “sailboat” was a very unique, and impressively effective, design:

14 Likes

Do trained monkey’s count as a mechanism?
Because I may be biased but I think Furious George is pretty dang cute

10 Likes

Surprised nobody’s mentioned 4613 yet. Pretty impressive how much functionality they were able to cram into such a small footprint, with the 1923-esque cube launcher and the little arm to have cones reach the 2nd level of the grid. One of my favorites from this year and definitely deserved to reach finals in their division.

7 Likes