Whegs, PID, and climbing

I don’t remember where I saw them, but a few years before I became involved in FIRST I heard about whegs. I recently searched CD and found this excellent thread about whegs.

Sadly, despite that thread’s predictions, I have yet to hear about, let alone see, a bot with whegs. Any care to demostrate otherwise? I’d love to see pics.

My main issue with whegs was their tendency to cause erratic robot movement, something that would quickly peeve a driver. Then a thought hit me.

Whegs and PID!

This would be incredibly cool! You’d need to have a gear switching mechanism of some sort (to allow for the maximum torque, crucial in a wheg system) but with the proper implementation this system could scale obstacles with ease!

Shame no one did it this year, because if they’d coupled it with good bar-blocking and on-bar capping they’ would’ve been unstoppable. Ah, hindsigh :wink:

Shame no one did it this year, because if they’d coupled it with good bar-blocking and on-bar capping they’ would’ve been unstoppable. Ah, hindsigh

Nope a team did use whegs this year. I remeber a team that had a team whose robot had extremely funky looking wheels that helped them reach the top of the ramp. I don’t remeber which team though. They did quite wheel from what I remeber since they were in the alliance rounds of Newton I believe.

Cool! Anyone who finds a pic gets… uh

reputation!

Was it whegs or was it like 1218’s tri wheels(sorry, don’t have pic. NOW I DO:)? They made the finals on Einstein with tri wheels. I didn’t see any whegs though.

http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/pictures.php?&action=single&picid=6823

Was it whegs or was it like 1218’s tri wheels(sorry, don’t have pic. NOW I DO? They made the finals on Einstein with tri wheels. I didn’t see any whegs though.

http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/p...ngle&picid=6823

Nah I remeber some funky looking wheels though I did like that design. I can narrow it down to the robots on the Newton field and the ones that advanced to the final rounds. It reminded me of a Segway for some reason.

Thanks for the pic of the Tri-Wheels, but I’m still looking for whegs

The link doesn’t seem to work it always says Cannot find server…ne ways what is whegs? oblong wheels or something :smiley:

They are basically just three-spokes-without-a-rim-for-a-wheel. I’m not exactly sure why everyone finds them so interesting. Can’t the exact same thing be done with a wheel with large lateral treads? (like the paddle treaded tires that monster trucks and such use for very loose terrain)

Team 341 maybe? they had small tri-wheels

here is 269’s triwheel http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/pictures.php?s=&action=single&picid=6185&direction=ASC&sort=date&perrow=10&trows=10&quiet=Quiet

correction: not 341 but 340 here is a pic

You might be thinking of 1218- we didn’t have triwheels…

I’m not 100% sure of what a wheg is, but team 16 had a awesome cam system (metal plate) that would lift them off the ground and on the platform, it looks like something that could be called a wheg, so…