When A Brand Collaboration Actually Has Synergy: Disney And FIRST Robotics

I just came across an article in Forbes about the FIRST/Disney partnership, thought people here would want to check it out :slight_smile:

19 Likes

I hate the word synergy. It reminds me of a Toyota Prius

8 Likes

Hey, I drive a Prius!..

3 Likes

11 Likes

Thanks for the link, Jon. Good piece. And I think her analysis is spot on.

Disney is really good at making a resonant message project, or as Wil-I-Am said, making it loud. They did it well for several seasons starting in 1996. Glad to see them back on board.

1 Like

Now if only we stopped having themes that stereotypically appeal to nerdy white guys…

FRC is in no position to “make Star Wars cool again”.
We lost that privilege after we followed the renaissance faire game with a steampunk game (although I do love both personally)

I hope if this continues we get a Disney IP with less associations to “geek culture” to truly capitalize on the broad reach of a pop culture related theme. Or we could just go back to sport themes. That worked too.

EDIT: Why not both! HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL GAME. FIRST, get your head in the game

36 Likes

Are you trying to say that Star Wars doesn’t have broad appeal? It’s the 4th largest media franchise, and 2nd largest movie franchise of ALL TIME. Outside of Marvel, you can’t find something with more broad appeal.

5 Likes

The concept that “geek” culture is mutually exclusive to “pop” culture seems antiquated to me when half of the top 10 highest grossing movies ever are Marvel or Star Wars.

7 Likes

Oh please never no nada cannot happen why would that even be suggested

2 Likes

That would be suggested because Disney owns the rights and because FIRST is out of touch with their students.

4 Likes

You might be surprised how many teenagers think that either (or both) Star Wars and Marvel are not only entirely uninteresting, but also prohibitively nerdy. In my personal experience, most of these people would have benefited immensely from FRC, and could have been stellar team members.

Check your perspective. Consider your social bias.

9 Likes

Ok, so is there any brand/theme that you can think of that isn’t prohibitively interesting to some set of people? Or should we abandon themed games?

Yes please.

27 Likes

After a while yes. They’re good until ideas run out then it’s just bad

Remember teams, we’re all in this together.

11 Likes

I hate the word synergy because it means they couldn’t actually quantify the benefits with numbers. Which, oddly enough, we’re required to do for every performance review for obvious reasons.

5 Likes

A water game and a game that breaks all geek stereotypes: 2021 FIRST Frozen

25 Likes

No, themes are inherently divisive.

But we could stop targeting an audience we’ve already captured (“typical nerds”) with the themes in order to expand the appeal and impact of FIRST to more communities.

or just stop the themes, please.

16 Likes

how do I like a post twice

3 Likes

The only thing in this article that I agree with is that the partnership could introduce Star Wars to younger audiences (FLL, FTC) that otherwise would have no connection to the franchise. But even then for FLL and FTC the brand integration to me doesn’t seem to have that much “synergy”. In fairness, I’m not too knowledgeable in FLL but it seems like a kid could compete in FLL this year and not even be aware of its Star Wars connection.

Everything else in the article is incredibly out of touch. Why on earth would any FIRST participant who wasn’t already going to watch Star Wars this December watch it because of the brand integration with FIRST?

4 Likes