When the regional is close to home

How do temas work things when the regional is close to home and not hotel is required? IS every student responsible for getting to the event or are team buses run from school? Are there required hours at the event and if so are they for everyone or just drivers and pit crew? Do you take attendence?

In the past when I competed (1996 - 1998) the Aztech’s would have the drivers, human player, coaches, pit crew, and any team members that put a lot in stay at a nearby hotel and then they would buss the rest of the team members to the event. The event attended was Manchester and was a bit of a drive.

I wonder what those teams that live in the immediate are of a regional do?

In NYC it’s:
The Subway or
the bus or
Mom or Dad or
walking.

The teachers, mentors, volunteers were
not allow to drive any students… for obvious reasons.

If you’re luck- THE CHEESE BUS (school bus) at 7am

:smiley:

810 has this problem (well, not really a problem, but yeah). our school is 10 minutes from SBPLI, and the majority of the team members live less than 20 - 30 minutes away. we got lucky, and friday of competition, our school is off :D. so that means, on thursday, the special people get to takea bus from school to the comp., then get a ride home from mom/dad/friend/aunt/uncle/grandparent/etc. friday and saturday it’s mostly “get there by 8’oclock, or else…”

i find that staying at a hotel would be completely pointless, as my bed is more comfortable, my shower is better, and my kitchen has any food i would want for breakfast :). plus, i get homecooked meals at home, as opposed to eating out and spending lots of money. in the end, i guess it’s up to the team to decide what happens though.

We carpooled to the Canadian Regional last year, and one of the days we got a bus so that the whole team could go. But normally we just hop in someone’s car.

*Originally posted by Rich Wong *
**In NYC it’s:
The Subway or
the bus or
Mom or Dad or
walking.

The teachers, mentors, volunteers were
not allow to drive any students… for obvious reasons.

If you’re luck- THE CHEESE BUS (school bus) at 7am

:smiley: **

Agreed - we neever had to take Mass Transit to a competition although since the 1&9 is close to Riverbank State Park we could possibly take the ferry to manhattan and the train to the venue. other then that its the yellow bus or hitch hikin it

VCU is about 1.5 hours to 2hours, depending on the driver. The bus is 2.5 hours, iirc. This is a bit long to drive all three days, and there is school Thursday and Friday. So 10 students (pit crew+flight crew) go down Wensday evening in cars driven by adults and sleep in hotel. The rest of the team catches a school bus at 7am on Saturday.

They may do something diffrent this year because of not going to Nation…the Championship, but that was how it was done in the past.

How my team this year will do it, I don’t think thats been figured out yet.

Wetzel

Ridin' along in my automobile

Our team basically rolls out of bed to get to the Great Lakes Regional. The site is on the same street as our school. The 1st day we meet at the plant to pick up our tools then head over. The other two days we show up on our own. Everyone is required to attend and those who can’t have to notify the mentors. Last year we had shifts for different things (Pit, Scouting, RCU, etc.) We could also come and go to get decent food as long as check let a mentor. That’s basically it.

school bus.
the pit crew takes a van to get there when the pits open.