When will Divisions be released?

Every year, people ask when will Divisions be released? FIRST typically doesn’t provide advance notice. Here’s when they have been released in the past.

In 2002 through 2004 the divisions were released the Tuesday 9 days before the beginning of the championship. That ended up ranging anywhere from before the last regional ended (2003) to 10 days after the last regional ended (2002).

In 2005, the divisions were released on a Monday, 10 days before the beginning of the championship (9 days after the end of the last regionals).

In 2006, the divisions were released on a Friday, 13 days before the beginning of the championship (13 days after the end of the last regionals).

In 2007-2009, the divisions were released on a Wednesday, 8 days before the beginning of the championship (3-4 days after the end of the last regionals).

In 2010, the divisions were released on a Thursday, 7 days before the beginning of the championship (4 days after the end of the last regionals)

In 2011, the divisions were released on a Friday, 13 days before the beginning of the championship (6 days after the end of the last regionals)

In 2012 and 2013, the divisions were released on a Wednesday, 8 days before the beginning of the championship (4 days after the end of the Michigan and MAR championships).

http://aredivisionsoutyet.com/

Do they keep that out year round? I’ve never actually looked at that site other then right before champs. But it’s pretty awesome to have.

I wish TBA had their old page up where you could “look at divisions” using a couple different algorithms. It always made thinking about possible divisions so fun because it actually showed what a possible division’s “power” could be.

Wow! Best site ever! But still… Do you guys know if there is a king of algoritm to make the divisions or if it’s only a giant randomiser with all the teams in it?

Some algorithm is used, but no one has ever figured it out. Most believe that they use different algorithms each year.

Whatever it is, somehow it’s put the winners in Galileo more often than not.

Even when it’s not the strongest division

And never in Curie.

And kept the Curie Curse alive.

Its either Newton or Galileo. Archimedes gets a gift every leap year. And Curie…well no one cares.

At least when they were in Atlanta, I had heard that they pick the two strongest/best divisions for Galileo and Archimedes (IIRC) because those were the two fields facing the VIP area. The algorithm for determining “strongest/best” is unknown to me.

Source?

How could they both be in front of the VIP area if they are in opposite corners?

If I recall correctly, back in ye olden days the divisions were set by a count off of 1, 2, 3, 4 from Team 1 all the way down until everyone figured it out.

1 Like

That must have been way before 2007 then. Its been some weird algorithm since Ive been a part of FIRST.

“Had Heard” = Rumor. - I got to visit the VIP area once and they weren’t watching many matches.

the IIRC is because I couldn’t remember which field is next to Galileo.

In hindsight, I didn’t add much to the discussion, my apologies.

If 2056 or 254 are in Curie this year, or even both, I would bet a lot of money that the Curie curse would end. I don’t know why, but I feel like they’re going to wind up in the same division and team up, win champs and finally get that championship win that 2056 deserves—all in the same year where, at the start of Waterloo, a lot of people gave them doubts.

I would also bet money that a Canadian team or two (maybe even three) wins champs. I just don’t see the alliance that wins it all not having a Canadian team, there are so many of them in every category (top pick, first pick and second pick). I’m not a big fan of this year for numerous reasons, but I think the field will be incredibly interesting and that history will be made in the 2014 World Champs field.

I also think that, unless they’re in the same division as 2056 and 254, that 610 will make Einstein again. They were simply amazing all season, perhaps even better compared to other robots than they were last year.

I don’t remember where i heard it but memory serves the algorithm makes it so it splits up any alliance that won. So 118 and 1986 would be in different division for example. That way they don’t just team up again since they know they work well together. I could be wrong and i think it had something to do with splitting up based on the week they won.

I have never heard this before. I suppose it is possible. My team last year (2052) ended up in the same division as one of our 4 winning partners (3244) in Newton last year, but maybe it is not possible to perfectly separate all of the alliance members since teams attend multiple events. If I have time this weekend (ha!) I will try to compare winning alliances with divisions for last year, to see if there is any validity in this theory.