Where can I learn some mechanical before build season

Okay even though I’ve been with my team for 2 years this year I’m still really bad at the mechanical part of it. I would really appriciate it if anyone could tell me a place online or around CT where I could learn some mechanical stuff before build season rolls around?

Much thanks:(

I’d like to know too, at least the online places.

In CT, try the Science Center of CT in West Hartford.

And online, Learn “How stuff works” here!!

cruising the CD white papers (technical) can help you (it helped me), and maybe just PMing some people on CD about your thoughts/questions

also howstuffworks.com is a pretty cool site

edit: looks like elgin clock beat me to it

*Originally posted by RogerR *
**cruising the CD white papers (technical) can help you (it helped me), and maybe just IMing some people on CD about your thoughts/questions

I definitely think that the white papers are pretty much the best resource out there for learning mechanical stuff. Talking to various people from here can be helpful in addition to the white papers. Also, try asking some people on your team for help. They can show you stuff in person with your team’s equipment so you’re best able to contribute during the season.

This is a great web site… and they even have “How Krispy Kremes Work”. WOW, that’s a FIRST.

:smiley:

Use the quick search on CD here and just keep looking up random stuff. If you have a question in particular, search and ask if it’s not there. I second the white pages - they are a great way to go. And contacting people in the group on AIM or something could help too. Obviously that’s what we all joined CD for. AIM me at BostonRobot if you’d like.

For a quick an easy fix, head over to HowStuffWorks:

Force, Power, Torque, Energy
How Gears Work
Convert Engine Torque to Horsepower

Of course this is no substitution to picking up a Physics book and learning the material. You basically have to grasp a few basic concepts: Force, Torque, Power, Gears, Gravitation, Friction and Conservation of Energy. Once you’ve grasped those concepts, you should be about set for the mechanical aspects of robots.

Boston Gear has one of the best, condensed manuals on Gear Theory. It’s very large so I’d recommend downloading it (right-click > save as).