Where is the CANTalon class?

It’s basically my first time programming an FRC robot, and it’s our team’s first time using the CAN bus in conjunction with the Talon SRX motor controllers. To be brief, **where can I find the CANTalon class? I’ve found it referred to in many different places online, but it doesn’t appear to be in the edu.wpi.first.wpilibj package. Even the JavaDoc doesn’t have any entry between CANJaguar and Compressor.

I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled the 2016 version of everything multiple times. There must be something really simple that I’m overlooking. Thanks in advance for your help!

(if it helps, I’m using the command-based model with the Netbeans IDE on Windows 10.)

https://wpilib.screenstepslive.com/s/4485/m/13809/l/272787-frc-java-wpilib-api-documentation has the pointer to the javadocs.

javadocs are at http://first.wpi.edu/FRC/roborio/release/docs/java/.

Those show CANTalon in edu.wpi.first.wpilibj.

Are you sure Netbeans is pointing to the 2016 version of wpilibj?

Just to ask the stupid question, how did you go about installing an Eclipse plugin in Netbeans?

Thank goodness for your stupid questions! I used the instructions here to add the custom plugins. Turns out they haven’t been updated since 2013! Doug, your intuition was exactly correct. I think that’s probably the issue here.

Is there anyway I can update WPIlib and still use NetBeans? I’m particularly fond of/familiar with it.

whoof… there probably is a way, but I don’t recall seeing one published.

problem one: getting the correct jars on your netbeans classpath; probably not a big deal.

problem two: deploying. have to figure out all the moving parts that Ant uses when doing a deploy under Eclipse. need to find the jar file)(s) that have the ant tasks in it that get used for doing a deploy, and the build.xml file(s), and any supporting files that get used during the build.

don’t know if it’s an hour’s work or a week’s…

Where are the files? Is the source published somewhere?

Has the deploy software really changed that much? Could I potentially just use the old deploy stuff?

the 2016 libraries would be in a wpilib folder off your user directory if you had Eclipse and it’s plugins installed and working.

doubt you can use the deploy stuff; that’s the majority of what changed with the new control system. You would need to really understand how it works in Eclipse and replicate that in Netbeans (or find someone that had already done it).

alright; that’s too bad. it’s probably not that big of a deal to switch to eclipse, though. (or perhaps, develop in netbeans and deploy in eclipse)

thanks a lot for your help! I really appreciate it.