Where to get addtn' FP motors

I’ve searched here and FIRST and can’t find the answer, nor does it appear to be in the new "where to find KOP items list.

Where can I buy additional spare FP motors? Not the transmission, just the -9015 motors??

Sorry if this is stupid but I can’t find it. and being rookies, I don’t have any stockpiles of them laying around.

Thanks!
-Sarah

http://www.usfirst.org/uploadedFiles/Where%20to%20get%20more%20Rev%20A.pdf

I am not sure if you have seen this document or not. It is a list put out by FIRST of where to get more kit parts. Unfortunately it does not seem to have the FP motor listed. You may or may not still find it useful or perhaps I overlooked it.

I looked there as well adn didn’t see it. It said AM was a potential supplier for the gearbox (which I don’t need) but that’s it.

grr.

I have not looked for this year’s motors yet, but the following has worked in the past.

Fisher Price service centers should have them. You can get a list of local service centers from http://service.mattel.com/us/powerwheels_info.asp. There are two problems, though.

Fisher Price service centers are not supposed to sell the motors or gearboxes to the general public. A few years ago, there was a memo from Fisher Price to their service centers saying that they were allowed to sell to FIRST Robotics teams. In my experience, everyone has either lost or forgotten that memo, so it may take a few tries to find one that will sell to you.

The next problem is that the service centers usually stock the motor and gearbox as an assembly and that PN doesn’t match with anything that FIRST gives us. You’ll need to find a service center that is willing to go in the back and manually verify the PNs printed on the motor. Last year, the service center didn’t have any of the right model in stock, but did order them direct from Fisher Price and it only took a few days to get them.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, I’ll give that a shot!

“We do have the motor gearbox assembly 00968-2910 in stock. They are
$24.95 a piece plus shipping and handling.”

Customer Service
MendingShed.com
1-800-339-9297

[email protected]

http://www.mendingshed.com/

I sent these folks an email, asking about the motors for FIRST competition, that was my reply.

I did ask if they had the -9015 motor on them, but did not recieve a reply about that…so I suggest you ask about this before ordering? just to make sure. There are a lot of different FP motors and gearboxes, you need to make sure you get the correct motor.

Sweet. I emailed the places around me asking about the -9015 motor as well and hadn’t heard back yet. Since they seem to know what we’re talking about I’ll just order from there!

-Thanks!

Sorry for the off topic question but regarding these Fisher Price motors…but does anyone have any idea how to connect these motors to anything in a robust way that would make them useful?

They have a weird shaped output shaft and I have not been able to find any mating gears or other means to make these useful… any ideas?

Please someone enlighten me on how to use these motors…

thanks

Many of the banebots gbs work with them. You need to replace the pinion gear with a 3.2 mm one from banebots and shorten the shaft.

The first thing we always try and do is ask a fellow team, in case they are not using it.

When we went to VCU last year, that regional above all others we have been to, had the most GP!
Teams gave away motors/pnuematic solenoids/etc. no questions asked not expecting anything in return.

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Are you suggesting to remove the Fisher Price motor from the gear box and mounting it to the banebots transmission?

What is the benefit of using the banebot transmission other than connecting the output shaft easier? … better output speed (less gear reduction ofrhigher torque)?

Can anything be used to connect the fisherprice gear box to some gear drive or pulley or is it a hopeless cause?

thanks

The banebots GBs are great because they mount easily and have a wide variety of ratios. We used the FP gearbox in 2005 to drive a forklift, but back then it came with a nice hub sort of thing that it mounted to. You might be able to find PVC with an ID that matches the OD of the FP gearbox to use. The FP gearboxes can be used, but in my opinion the banebots are better. They are smaller, more versatile, easier to mount and easier to design around in general.

Motor or gearbox? If it’s the gearbox, many a team uses octagons in the white part. Hose clamp around the outside, keyway or hex for an axle. I can’t think of a single failure that wasn’t an I.O. error.

We took the motor and first reduction gear out of the gear box, and made a custom gear box by putting a couple holes in two 1/8" aluiminum plates, and turned down a 3/8" hex shaft to fit into bearings, and allow a sprocket to connect to it. The plastic gears in the first two stages of the FP gearbox have 3/8" hex holes…they fit on the hex shaft…it works out pretty nice.

http://photos.project1726.org/albums/userpics/10009/normal_IMG_0087.JPG

Nice set up Squirrel…

I don’t have any fancy tools but I have a dremel and a bench
grinder and after reading your post, I decided to tear one of our
FP gear boxes apart…

In the process, I came up with a simple retrofit for these to make a
screaming dual shaft motor for our conveyors with 1/4" output shafts…

**Sorry no pictures, but here is a description of how it can easily be done:

For materials (for each motor) you will need:**

qty 1 - 1/4 coupler nut (this is the long nut that you find next to the threaded rod at the hardware store) ,
qty 1 - 1/4 ID x 3/8 OD brass sleeve
qty 2 - 1/4 x 4" bolts

Here is how to modify the motor:

1. Remove the motor by removing the two long screws that attach it through
    the case.

2. Take apart the FP gear box by removing 4 screws and release the
    case locking tabs… (You might want to have a couple paper towels handy
    as there is a lot of grease in there…)

3. Remove the two output gears (white & blue on my box) and set these aside
    as you will not be needing these.

4. Remove the 2nd gear (blue gear on mine) and with a pair of pliers carefully
    remove the press fit post that this gear rides on.

5. Grind the coupler nut (from the hardware store) down so that it its length is no longer
    than the thickness of the 2nd gear and clean the threads on the grounded end.

6. Cut the threads from one of the bolts to leave a 1/4 thread exposed on the bolt and then
    screw this into the coupler and tighten it. Then screw the other bolt into the other
    end and tighten it so that both bolts are now tightly seated against each other in the
    coupler.

7. Cut the heads off the two bolts, then smooth and slightly taper the ends.

8. Cut two 1/4" pieces from the brass sleeve and press these into the case’s plastic
    recesses where the 2nd gear post was.

9. Insert the shaft that you just made and slip the 2nd gear over it so that it meshes
    with the 1st gear and put the case back together and mount the motor. You now have
    a 1/4" output shaft on both sides of the case…

10. *NOTE: Before I put the case back together. I took a metal plate and cut a half
    circle out of it (to fit around the large circular molded circle in the case which
    the original output shaft come out of…) and used the case as a drill template
    to drill three holes in it around the circular part of the original output shaft to line up
    with the case screws. Then I drilled out the 3 threaded
    ends of the gear box case so that I could mount this plate with longer
    bolts through the case. *

By the way, the mounting plate was much wider than the
gear box to allow for mounting holes…

This set up seemed too easy to do and produces a screamer of a motor
which can use the 1/4 aluminum billet pulleys that came with the KOP

Good luck every body!

Nice set up Squirrel…

I don’t have any fancy tools but I have a dremel and a bench
grinder and after reading your post, I decided to tear one of our
FP gear boxes apart…

In the process, I came up with a simple retrofit for these to make a
screaming dual shaft motor for our conveyors with 1/4" output shafts…

**Sorry no pictures, but here is a description of how it can easily be done:

For materials (for each motor) you will need:**

qty 1 - 1/4 coupler nut (this is the long nut that you find next to the threaded rod at the hardware store) ,
qty 1 - 1/4 ID x 3/8 OD brass sleeve
qty 2 - 1/4 x 4" bolts

Here is how to modify the motor:

1. Remove the motor by removing the two long screws that attach it through
    the case.

2. Take apart the FP gear box by removing 4 screws and release the
    case locking tabs… (You might want to have a couple paper towels handy
    as there is a lot of grease in there…)

3. Remove the two output gears (white & blue on my box) and set these aside
    as you will not be needing these.

4. Remove the 2nd gear (blue gear on mine) and with a pair of pliers carefully
    remove the press fit post that this gear rides on.

5. Grind the coupler nut (from the hardware store) down so that it its length is no longer
    than the thickness of the 2nd gear and clean the threads on the grounded end.

6. Cut the threads from one of the bolts to leave a 1/4 thread exposed on the bolt and then
    screw this into the coupler and tighten it. Then screw the other bolt into the other
    end and tighten it so that both bolts are now tightly seated against each other in the
    coupler.

7. Cut the heads off the two bolts, then smooth and slightly taper the ends.

8. Cut two 1/4" pieces from the brass sleeve and press these into the case’s plastic
    recesses where the 2nd gear post was.

9. Insert the shaft that you just made and slip the 2nd gear over it so that it meshes
    with the 1st gear and put the case back together and mount the motor. You now have
    a 1/4" output shaft on both sides of the case…

10. *NOTE: Before I put the case back together. I took a metal plate and cut a half
    circle out of it (to fit around the large circular molded circle in the case which
    the original output shaft come out of…) and used the case as a drill template
    to drill three holes in it around the circular part of the original output shaft to line up
    with the case screws. Then I drilled out the 3 threaded
    ends of the gear box case so that I could mount this plate with longer
    bolts through the case. *

By the way, the mounting plate was much wider than the
gear box to allow for mounting holes…

This set up seemed too easy to do and produces a screamer of a motor
which can use the 1/4 aluminum billet pulleys that came with the KOP

Good luck every body!